ODroid N2+ Support

This is for ARMv8 based devices

Re: ODroid N2+ Support

Postby AlexxandroiD » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:39 am

Hello (Sorry for my bad English; i hope i will be clear)

I receved my n2plus this week and i start to install archlinuxarm from here. I didn't have problems with raspberry and my 2 odroid xu4.
But for my n2plus, i have difficult to found right video drivers. i all ready installed xorg, xfce4 desktop, lighdm-gtk-greeter and my favorites apps. I tried with xf86-video-armsoc-meson, xf86-video-fbdev, meson and all time, when i want to launch my session with systemctl start lightdm, i have black prompt screen, look like no video drivers found

I found some working releses here https://archdroid.org/en/images/odroidn2/ but there are old and can't update. So i tried to search what driver it use, no result. Maybe i don't have the level for.
I added the reposity $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[archlinuxdroid]
SigLevel = Optional TrustAll
Server = http://104.131.53.77/$repo/$arch') and try to found some video driver.....

I would like to know what drivers i need for the n2plus to have graphycal desktop. Thanks
AlexxandroiD

Postby yossarian » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:34 am

Archdroid is an okay starting place but many of the packages there are indeed a bit old. My N2+ machines are now running mainline ALARM kernels with a slightly modified version of the uboot from archdroid. The correct DTB is /dtbs/amlogic/meson-g12b-odroid-n2-plus.dtb if you're on the main kernels. For graphics I'm compiling my own mesa from git. I will eventually try to upstream mesa packages and see if they're new enough to supply all the panfrost graphics.
yossarian

Postby woody » Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:08 pm

@yossarian:
I'm using ALARM on N2 and N2+, but I can't get it to boot with a mainline kernel with 6.0 and above. Can you explain about the modified u-boot you're using? Maybe that's what I need to run the latest kernels.
woody

Postby yossarian » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:55 pm

So I started from this package: https://github.com/archdroid-org/pkgbui ... oid-n2plus

And I removed all the bootini automatic rewriting magic and just have a simple static boot.ini based on boot.mainline.ini.

The main thing is to change the dtb to the right one. The kernel is still fine. You still need the uimg hook to convert the normal initramfs file to a uboot compatible version after each kernel upgrade. The first time I run the command in the hook manually to make sure there's a uimg file I can boot from.

Also, I replaced the build-from-git version of mesa with the standard package this morning and everything still works fine. Huzzah!
yossarian

Postby woody » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:11 pm

@yossarian
So, I'm not sure that I understand what you did. Did you actually compile and install the package you referenced, or did you just adapt the boot.ini in that package? Also, which DTB is the "right one"? The only one that works for me is 'meson64_odroidn2_plus.dtb'.

Also, can you provide an example of the simplified boot.ini script that you're using?
woody

Postby pudge » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:50 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', ' ')can you provide an example of the simplified boot.ini script that you're using?

Here is a boot.ini that works with linux-odroid-6.0.19-1

https://github.com/endeavouros-arm/calamares-image/blob/main/configs/n2-boot.ini

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'C')an you explain about the modified u-boot you're using?

here is a u-boot that also works with linux-odroid-6.0.19-1

https://github.com/endeavouros-team/repo/blob/master/endeavouros/aarch64/uboot-odroid-n2plus-2015.01.189-4-aarch64.pkg.tar.zst
pudge

Postby woody » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:24 pm

Are you able to boot into a USB drive? I can only boot into kernel >6.0 with an sdcard. My boot fails when I try to switch to a USB drive. I'm able to boot into a USB drive with kernel 5.19.

Update:
I switched to your u-boot.bin and the boot.ini that you referenced, but I still have the same situation: I can boot into kernel 6.2.10 using the sdcard slot, but the boot fails early in the process when I try to boot using a USB drive. If I revert to kernel 5.19, I can boot from either sdcard or a USB drive.
woody

Postby pudge » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:49 pm

I am able to boot into a USB SSD. I use a Odroid N2+ to do all my aarch64 compiling and image creating. With my current image, I can boot uSD, eMMC, and USB SSD on a linux-odroid-6.0.19-1 kernel.

I am using petitboot (dev.20220317) which is the current version. I have to fiddle with the petitboot options, but it is worth it when doing something CPU and RAM intensive like compiling.

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_images/petitboot

The only problem with USB SSD / petitboot is with the switch in the SPI position (to the left) HDMI audio doesn't work.

If you have a uSD or eMMC card, and boot in the MMC position, HDMI audio works. Simply power off, then move the switch to SPI the uSD or eMMC will still boot, but HDMI audio no longer works. So it appears that the HDMI audio problem might be releated to petitboot.

I don't know what the rules are here, but if you want to try the latest Odroid N2 / N2+ image we have, let me know
pudge

Postby pudge » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:51 pm

Sorry, somehow I got a double submission so I edited this second one out.
pudge

Postby woody » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:10 pm

@pudge
I'm already using petitboot 20220317. so that's not an issue. I would appreciate it if you have a way to point me to the Odroid N2/N2+ image you're using. That might solve the problem.
woody

PreviousNext

Return to ARMv8 Devices