Raspberry Pi 3B+ Revision number not found by libs

This is for ARMv8 based devices

Raspberry Pi 3B+ Revision number not found by libs

Postby amael » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:40 pm

Hello,

I recently switched from Raspbian Lite to archlinuxARM, aarch64, and suddenly, all the python libs I used to access the GPIO, to use Neopixels and an I2C screen raise `NotImplementedError(Board not supported)`.

Diving into their codebases, I later found out that they check the revision of my board.

For example, `rpi_ws281`, my neopixel library checks for it in `/proc/device-tree/system/linux,revision` which actually is the file `/sys/firmware/devicetree/base/system/linux,revision` because of symlinks.

Another example is Adafruit's PlatformDetect that is used to configure CircuitPython, which I use to bring my LCD screen to life. They use the `/proc/cpuinfo` file, at entries `Revision` and `Hardware`.

If only one of these files existed !

To find if it was only me, I also checked viewtopic.php?t=12577 but they didn't seem to have found a solution.

PS: this forum has quite a lack of inline code blocks, if anyone could work on that, it would be really nice.
amael

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B+ Revision number not found by libs

Postby lategoodbye » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:35 pm

Please don't blame Arch Linux Arm for using a mainline kernel, please blame the authors to make their libraries depend on a vendor kernel.
lategoodbye

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B+ Revision number not found by libs

Postby amael » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:15 am

I am not blaming ALARM. They do the best they can, and they stated it quite clearly in the installation instructions :
"Use this installation only if you have no dependencies on the closed source vendor libraries shipped in the ARMv7 release."

And as a solution, I found that going back to the arm7 version fixed the problems I got with these libs, and I used an other lib than Adafruit's one.
amael

Return to ARMv8 Devices