rpi4 new install; pacman -Syu

This is for ARMv8 based devices

rpi4 new install; pacman -Syu

Postby lumpynose » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:04 am

At the end after rebooting with the sdcard I did the "pacman-key --init" and "pacman-key --populate archlinuxarm" and then I did a "pacman -Syu" and dern, it's updating a *lot* of stuff. Is that normal? The date of the tar file in the gz file is 2020-08-08.

It also asked me "Replace libutil-linux with core/util-linux-libs?" and I typed a Y, was that the right thing to do?
lumpynose

Re: rpi4 new install; pacman -Syu

Postby graysky » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:00 am

There were several major rebuilds since Aug (python and boost). So yes, normal. Packages also get renamed from time to time, so you are fine to replace.
graysky
Developer

Postby lumpynose » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:38 pm

Great, thanks.
lumpynose

Postby m040601 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:25 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '.')..The date of the tar file in the gz file is 2020-08-08...
... There were several major rebuilds since Aug ...

I'm also curious about the scheduling (if there is one) of the root file systems available to download at.

http://os.archlinuxarm.org/os

Why isnt' it possible to have more recent versions ?
From August to December it's like 4 months .

Since Arch is a rolling release, and a fast one, this inevitably means that after one month, those images contain a large amount of packages that will inevetibaly have to be updated.

Add to this the kernel, firmware and co pulled down from the Raspberry foundation. Typically also monthly.

In the end, those half gigabytes one has just downloaded, will end up being replaced with the fresh and current stuff.

What kind of work and/or developer ressources or testing must go into providing a more up to date version ? Is it because some many devices are supported ? Isnt' this root file system generation also automated ?
m040601

Return to ARMv8 Devices