RPi 3 sound device not found

This is for ARMv8 based devices

RPi 3 sound device not found

Postby Ajamese » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:50 pm

I have recently installed Arch on my Raspberry Pi 3 and it runs nicely- I kinda use my Pis as ssh notebooks and want to delve into molding making this one into a headless media player (music only).

Now I've worked with Archlinux in a very limited fashion - I run Manjaro which is effectively not Arch but there's some overlap.

Anyway, I have no idea how to go about getting the audio running.

I put the line

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'dtparam=audio=on ')

into the config.txt and I thought that was all I would have to do, but I suspect I may be missed a package.
So I enter:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'aplay -l')
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'aplay: device_list:274: no soundcards found...')

Where do I go from here?

Thank you all!
Ajamese

Re: RPi 3 sound device not found

Postby graysky » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:00 pm

graysky
Developer

Postby Ajamese » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:37 am

I can't say that the particular thread seems to have anything to do with my problem (my usb ports work just as they should - forgive as I only scanned over it- could have missed something)- though for the fun of it I Installed the package that he was claiming fixed his issue in a seemingly indirect manner and alas , it had no effect on the sound. I'll take a look at possible alsa configurations as well in the meantime.
Ajamese

Postby robg » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:32 pm

Note that sound works for me with the linux-raspberrypi4 kernel, without dtparam=audio=on, and with pulseadio installed. As I understand it, if you want alsa only, you need--besides dtparam=audio=on--to be part of the audio group.
robg

Postby Ajamese » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:50 pm

Are you saying that I need to add alsa to the audio group? I apologize- the wording was a little funny to me.
Ajamese

Postby robg » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:18 pm

See viewtopic.php?f=65&t=14734&start=50#p65549

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'S')eems one solution is to add dtparam=audio=on to /boot/config.txt. After doing that, as long as your user is in the audio group, it works as expected:
robg

Postby Ajamese » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:50 pm

It is done! Thank you it worked! Added myself to the audio group- now it works like a charm.
Ajamese

Return to ARMv8 Devices