Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 8 GB (2/3 Fail with SD Card error)

This is for ARMv8 based devices

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 8 GB (2/3 Fail with SD Card error)

Postby eyl » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:39 am

I'm getting a very strange error. I have 3 Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 8 GB (Rev 1.4), and 2 of 3 of them fail to boot the aarch64 image. I followed the installation instructions and oddly only 1 of the 3 work. They'll all happily boot Raspbian, and the ARMv7 version. I tried putting aarch64 on different SD cards just to make sure, and sure enough the same one boots fine, but the others fail. The failing ones both get spammed with the following error:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'mmc1: ADMA error: 0x02000000
mmc1: sdhci: ============ SDHCI REGISTER DUMP ===========
<SNIP>
mmc1: error -5 whilst initialising SD card')

On the one that works, I tried updating everything and got today's update of the firmware, but it's still the same story: 1 works, and 2 don't work. I'm a bit at a loss since I think I can rule out the SD card, and the Pi's themselves being faulty. Maybe a firmware difference? I'm not sure how to check, they all seem to be the same revision. Aside from the aarch64 version, they seem to behave the same with everything else.

There doesn't seem to actually be an SD card error either on the 2 that won't complete the boot, since I can see the 4 Tux icons, so clearly it booted the kernel from the same SD card. If anyone has any other thoughts that would be great! This seems like it shouldn't happen.
eyl

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 8 GB (2/3 Fail with SD Card error

Postby sanpoChew » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:22 pm

Have just started getting this also with a freshly prepared SD card and a brand new raspberry pi 4 Model B 8GB
sanpoChew

Postby eyl » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:50 pm

OK, it appears that something is wrong with the linux-aarch64. From the working one I installed linux-raspberrypi4 and changed root/etc/fstab back to mmc0, and that appears to work.
eyl

Postby robg » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:10 pm

Dear eyl,

Since you have ruled out the SD card as the cause of an issue occurring with the same aarch64 image run on different instances of the same hardware, I can for the moment only assume that the problem is firmware-related. This suspicion is supported by the fact that all your devices work with the upstream RPI kernel - which is of course expected to function across different firmware versions.

You can verify and upgrade the firmware using the "rpi-eeprom" package (the command equals the package name; I believe you need to run it with raspberrypi4 kernel.)

Can you verify if the firmware does indeed differ across your devices and if choosing the latest / an appropriate version resolves your issue with the generic aarch64 kernel?
robg

Postby sanpoChew » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:12 am

My one which is also failing with the same error has the latest eeprom (have run this using an armv7 SD card)

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
$ sudo rpi-eeprom-update
BOOTLOADER: up to date
CURRENT: Thu 29 Apr 16:11:25 UTC 2021 (1619712685)
LATEST: Thu 29 Apr 16:11:25 UTC 2021 (1619712685)
RELEASE: critical (/lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/critical)

VL805_FW: Using bootloader EEPROM
VL805: up to date
CURRENT: 000138a1
LATEST: 000138a1
')
sanpoChew

Postby eyl » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:08 am

Hi robg,

Thanks for the reply! Sorry, I should've went over all the steps I've taken. I tried that, the one that worked and a passing one did actually have the exact same firmware. Also, oddly enough, I ordered them together, so they came in the same delivery (although they may be different batches still). I thought the EEPROM could be the only thing different, but nope, it was the same. I also updated to the latest stable and critical EEPROM on a failing Pi, and I had the same outcome. I have them all up and working now at least!
eyl

Postby robg » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:57 pm

Hmm, that's aggravating. If the issue occurs only on some instances of what should be the same hardware running the same official aarch64 RPI image, I am (for the moment) at a loss.

To alleviate the situation for those trying to install ArchARM on their RPI 4B, could you confirm if it is at least possible to boot from USB? (It may be, since the error message is produced by the SD controller; booting from USB 3 SSDs or thumb drives should be supported by recent EEPROM versions.) If booting from USB is possible, people facing this issue can change the generic aarch64 kernel to the RPI one and flash the USB contents back onto their SD card.

Note that the linux kernel package is currently trailing behind upstream (which is, at the time of this writing, 5.13). So it also remains to see how things will change once the kernel package is upgraded.
robg

Postby eyl » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:38 pm

Not sure, unfortunately I don't have a spare USB device, and they're all in use now. For the time being, the non-aarch64 version works properly. For Arch Linux ARM, I think people will have to wait for the next release with a different kernel. Given what sanpoChew said, it previously worked. I just couldn't find a 2021-06-01 aarch64 image.
eyl

Postby robg » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:44 pm

Another option for those facing this issue might be to chroot into the default aarch64 image from Manjaro and change to the RPI kernel from there.
robg

Postby SpaceOne » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:06 pm

Hello

Have the exact same problem with the latest ArchLinuxARM-rpi-aarch64 (2021.07), but on rpi4 2gb.
I was able to run many other distros, like Manjaro, Raspberry OS, Gentoo without issues.

As suggested, to overcome it, I extracted boot partition from latest Manjaro img file and copied the content over to the alarm boot. Have to change the $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'root=PARTUUID=2b1b1cc1-02')
to the actual UUID of my SD card in cmdline.txt, and the same also in the /etc/fstab in the alarm root partition.
SpaceOne

Next

Return to ARMv8 Devices