blank screen after update

This is for ARMv8 based devices

blank screen after update

Postby fluxrider » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:17 pm

Hi there,

I've been enjoying archlinuxarm (32-bit) on my raspberry pi 400 for quite some time. I use it as my main desktop computer (i.e. video game development with vulkan or opengl, streaming youtube/netflix/disney+/prime-video).

I routinely do pacman -Syu to get latest mesa driver and kernel and what not.

This time around, after reboot the computer left me with a blank screen during the boot process (i.e. I see the usual color square then prints of things starting up) but instead of getting my command line login prompt, it's blank.

If I remove the config.txt file from /boot, I see the prompt and I can login. However, the video driver is not loaded (I think) so startx fails.

The content of config.txt was:
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
initramfs initramfs-linux.img followkernel

I'm a dad going insane during the pandemic suffering from fibromyalgia and my brain power is pretty bad today. Any help is welcome. I tried to rollback the update following a website, but I suspect it didn't rollback everything (e.g. kernel and drivers). The site was https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-rollback ... arch-linux (section: Downgrading all upgraded packages)

If nothing else, I'll wait a few days for an update.

Cheers,
fluxrider

Re: blank screen after update

Postby graysky » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:57 pm

Debug info in dmesg or journalctl? Access via ssh from another machine and post? Not giving us much to go on to help you.
graysky
Developer

Postby fluxrider » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:50 pm

Sorry about that. If I try 'sudo dtoverlay vc4-kms-v3d', the screen will go blank. When I say blank I mean black, the TV still gets a signal. Then in journalctl I can see the following suspect lines:
vc4-drm gpu: bound fe400000.hvs (ops vc4_hvs_ops [vc4])
vc4-drm gpu: failed to bind fef00700.hdmi (ops vc4_hdmi_ops [vc4]): -22
vc4-drm gpu: master bind failed: -22
vc4-drm gpu: probe of gpu failed with error -22

Googling brought me to someone with an issue similar dated to last month, which suggest the problem is recent:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... ?p=1878128

I'm not sure I understand his solution though.

Thanks,
fluxrider

Postby fluxrider » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:39 pm

To follow up, this morning pacman -Syu had kernel and raspberry bootloader stuff to update. Alas, still getting a blank screen.

I tried to overwrite my /boot with what is in http://os.archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinux ... est.tar.gz, but that left me with no wifi, and no graphics (but funny enough, no blank screen when trying to load the graphics). Not sure if I did it right anyway, so I moved back what I had before in /boot.
fluxrider

Postby robg » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:06 pm

Typically, these issues are due to regressions in the kernel.

I suggest you make a backup of /var/cache/pacman/pkg, do a fresh install of the armv7 image followed by `pacman -Syu`, and then - should the issue persist - try to systematically downgrade the kernel (from /var/cache/pacman/pkg) to a working version. Once you have identified a working kernel version, you can (temporarily) disable upgrades via the IgnorePkg option in /etc/pacman.conf. The next step would be to verify if the breaking kernel version (on Arch) causes the same problem on Raspberrypi OS; if you observe the same problem, kindly open an issue on https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux.

If the issue turns out to be unrelated to the kernel, try downgrading mesa and/or X, and try installing xf86-video-fbdev or xf86-video-fbturbo-git.

When replying in this forum, make sure to always include an unambiguous list of commands (with outputs) that you have issued.
robg

Postby fluxrider » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:09 pm

I gave up. I've installed the the minimal manjaro arm for rpi4 image. It's 64-bit so no netflix hack that I can find, but my opengl/vulkan development works and that's all I care about really. I love cutting edge, but perhaps the manjaro delayed 'stable' updates are better suited for me. Anything is better than old debian packages ^_^

Thanks,
fluxrider

Return to ARMv8 Devices