Raspberry pi zero 2 w booting armv8

This is for ARMv8 based devices

Raspberry pi zero 2 w booting armv8

Postby mast3rwaf1z » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:37 pm

hi i've seen that the raspberry pi zero 2 w has gotten its own page for installing alarm on it, i've tried to install it before using the raspberry pi 3 guide and worked well but i kinda want armv8 to work as it states in the install guide. the issue comes when i want to install it tho, if i just do an install following the guide i get stuck at the rainbow screen, but using a few workarounds i can get it into U-boot and get stuck there as well...

so my question is: have anyone gotten the raspberry pi zero 2 w to boot armv8?

things i've tried:
copy the bcm2710-rpi-zero-2-w.dtb file from the armv7 install to the armv8 one, this got the device into U-boot. the issue here is that it tries to retrieve some files under the name pxelinux.cfg after failing to load /dtbs/broadcom/bcm283x-rpi-other.dtb

i've popped the sd card into a rpi 4 and updated all packages using pacman -Syu to see if it was missing some important files
mast3rwaf1z

Re: Raspberry pi zero 2 w booting armv8

Postby darksky » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:17 pm

I do not have the new device to experiment with upstream kernel but I do know it will boot with 64 bit RPi kernel. If I remember right at first they were renaming the pi3 .dtb to bcm2710-rpi-zero-2-w.dtb to get it to boot with the RPi kernel. If I have my facts straight you might be able to copy /boot/dtbs/broadcom/bcm2837-rpi-3-b.dtb to /boot/dtbs/broadcom/bcm2837-rpi-zero-2-w.dtb and point to it to load.

ADDED:

I found the link where this was mentioned in the rpi forums @7 posts down. Upstream kernel may behave differently but all I could find involving changes when the pi zero 2w was released was making a .dtb for it. It is supposed to be based on the pi3b. I did have to add some firmware in /usr/lib/firmware/updates/brcm/

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopi ... 0#p1942269
darksky

Postby mast3rwaf1z » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:37 pm

Thanks for your reply, i have tried changing the name with the same result as with the one i copied from the armv7 install
mast3rwaf1z

Postby chnylen » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:08 am

I made a bit of progress on this, but not sure of the direction (forward or backward).

I was able to get the Pi2W out of the UBoot prompt, but now stuck with a different error. To get past the UBoot prompt, I downloaded the bcm2710-rpi-zero-2-w.dtb file from the Raspberry Pi GitHub Repo, and copied it to the boot/ directory in addition to copying/remaing it to the dtbs/broadcom/ directory as bcm283x-rpi-other.dtb.

However, I'm now stuck in a scenario where it seems as though the root volume cannot be found. I get dropped to an emergency shell, unable to type anything with an attached USB keyboard to investigate further. The preceding (what I would think are relevant) messages are as follows:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
Waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/disk/by-partuuid/(the UUID of the device, referenced below as #PARTUUID, which I verified with blkid)
ERROR: device 'PARTUUID=#PARTUUID' not found. Skipping fsck.
:: mounting 'PARTUUID=#PARTUUID' on real root
mount: /new_root: can't find PARTUUID=#PARTUUID.
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
[rootfs ]#
')
Doing some digging on the issue, I tried without luck changing

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', ' root=PARTUUID=${uuid} ')
in boot/boot.txt to

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 (and /dev/mmcblk0p2)')
Once I made these changes, I updated the boot.scr with mkscr in the boot directory. In addition, I added an entry in root/etc/fstab to reference the root volume (as both mmcblk0p2 and mmcblk1p2), with no luck as well. Not sure if this is forward progress or not, but my guess is that there's a module missing somewhere to detect the SD card.
chnylen

Postby chnylen » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:01 pm

I finally got this to work. I had another Pi4 laying around, so I followed the directions for AArch64 Installation here, mounted the SD card as such:

mount /dev/mmcblk1p2 root
mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 root/boot
')
installed arch-install-scripts

sudo pacman -S arch-install-scripts
')
and then chrooted into the newly created SD card image

arch-chroot root
')
From there, I updated the install with

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', ' pacman -Syu ')
and exited the chroot. I then followed the steps I posted above (downloading/renaming .dtb files from the Raspberry Pi GItHub) and booted. I didn't have to mess with the boot.txt file or anything else, so ignore that part of the above post.

Hope this helps someone else!
chnylen

Postby andy4849 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:09 pm

Would appreciate any support in getting 64bit Arch os up & running on Pi zero 2. I don't have another Pi I can use, as per a previous post. Only other option I have is an Odroid C4
Is there any other way around the installation process, to get at least to a login prompt?
andy4849

Postby audinot » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:09 am

EDITED WITH SOLUTION

Because I saw multiple questions about this still in the forums, here is how I did it from a Linux Mint LiveUSB (for anyone who doesn't have another ArchARM device or extra raspberry pi around).

# Followed the entire RPi02w install guide first, then

apt-get install libarchive-tools arch-install-scripts qemu-user-binft qemu-user-static
mkdir -p /mnt/sdcard/boot

mount /dev/sdX2 /mnt/sdcard
mount /dev/sdX1 /mnt/sdcard/boot

# Chroot to finish and update everything

arch-chroot /mnt/sdcard /bin/bash
pacman-key --init
pacman-key --populate archlinuxarm
pacman -Syu

# Replace aarch64 with linux-rpi (say yes 'y' to everything)

pacman -S linux-rpi

# Bonus - grab firmware while you're here

pacman -S --needed raspberrypi-firmware

# DONE, no need to copy dtb files
')

After this I got to a login shell instead of an emergency shell. Hope it helps someone.
audinot

Return to ARMv8 Devices