Acer R13 - wifi problem

This is for ARMv8 based devices

Acer R13 - wifi problem

Postby JoergP » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:46 pm

I installed the ArchARM on my Acer Chromebook R13 as described here:
https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv ... mebook-r13

It boots just fine, but I'm failing in a very initial step, which is setting up the Wi-Fi. In the "ip link" command, the interface is shown as mlan0. I tried to set up the Wi-Fi with "wifi-menu", it detects the networks, but doesn't manage to connect. I also tried the sequence shown in viewtopic.php?f=67&t=11262 :

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'ip link set mlan0 up
wpa_supplicant -D nl80211,wext -i wlan0 -c <(wpa_passphrase "your_SSID" "your_key")
dhcpcd mlan0')

... but the call doesn't finish. It says "mlan0: CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to ... completed [id=0 id_str=]" ... and stays like this forever.

In the console I'm getting loads of stack traces, and I'm at a loss how to properly capture them, as the touchpad/scrolling doesn't work. The systemctl status and journalctl entries are not very helpful in stating it is a "Failed with result 'exit code'" and "status=1/FAILURE".

Any hint what I could do to at least provide better information? Does the Wi-Fi work for anyone on the Acer R13 Chromebook? Is there a particular driver I need to load? Or firmware file?
JoergP

Re: Acer R13 - wifi problem

Postby JoergP » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:09 am

Replying to myself ...

After a lot of trial-and-error, I manage to get a connection with starting a wpa_supplicant session (see code above) and let it sit there. It takes a long time (like a minute) to reach connected state. If I manage to hit the right time to start dhcpcd I can establish a connection to my router.

The connection is very unstable though, and still throws loads of stack traces, disconnects, and re-connects and so on. But I have been able to update installed packages and do the first steps of the usual Arch installation procedure as described in ArchWiki.

That tells me that the driver itself somehow works. The current state of the network connection doesn't allow though to seriously work with the system. Still interested in getting hints what I could try to resolve the issue.
JoergP

Return to ARMv8 Devices