Anyone own a RiP3?

This is for ARMv8 based devices

Re: Anyone own a RiP3?

Postby andiling » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:31 am

It needs 64bit OS (e.g. proper kernel, userland, drivers aka modules, etc).

You've a better performance due to using the wider bus and more addresses. However, you need 64bit packages for that (which should be no issue for arch packages) and the effect is not that much more as already reached with the better SoC.

You can compare it with Windows and the effect of better CPU and/or 64bit OS vs 32bit. RAM addressing is no issue here but is only one effect of many having 64bit.
andiling

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:12 am

#3) Arch Linux ARM already have perfectly working ARMv8 userland for boards that actually support it. The pi does not, but the choice of it's designers.

64/32 memory: Considering that many programs already make use of Large File Support (64bit file size handling), there are not that many real-world "penalties" for using 64-bit in low ram environments.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby tpfkanep » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:07 pm

Please help me understand:

Warheads wrote:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'W')henever the foundation gets off their ***** and does the kernel work to support ARMv8 properly.
(And no, a flag in the bootloader does not count)

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '#')3) Arch Linux ARM already have perfectly working ARMv8 userland for boards that actually support it. The pi does not, but the choice of it's designers.
So, the arch team is waiting for some... kernel/userland stuff before they can get 64bit OS up and running on Pi3? It's not just a case of:
- take current software and recompile for 64bit
- make 64bit image
- ???
- Profit!
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'Y')ou need to look forward to the Foundation not locking into the "one true platform" as they have continued to do, and make all images the same across all of their various devices. They continue to make backward compatible hardware and identical software.

I don't see them breaking out of this model for the foreseeable future.
If the bold is true, what is the point of having 32bit & 64bit architecture with identical s/w...?
tpfkanep

Postby andiling » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:17 pm

Better you ask the foundation about that or follow the issue tracker (e.g. https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/550).

The developers of alarm have done the best they could do at the moment.
andiling

Postby tpfkanep » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:38 pm

I hope there is some concrete progress on this from the Pi foundation's side. From the look of things this 64bit stuff looks very involved...

Personally I'm holding out on buying the Pi3 until there is a native 64bit alarm image.
tpfkanep

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:59 pm

You can't make an image without a kernel. Their kernel sources _do_not_ compile for ARMv8 aarch64, but only ARMv7. You can try compiling if you'd like, and setting the appropriate options. The necessary SoC platform mechanics are not present in their kernel sources. One quite literally can not compile a 64-bit kernel for it.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby tpfkanep » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:52 pm

I do not really know the ins-and-outs of the way the technical stuff work... Hope this does not seem like empty words: Thanks to the arch team for all your effort!
tpfkanep

Postby andiling » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:40 pm

My suggestion: be happy with the Alarm as it is right now. It's stable and performance is good.
andiling

Postby graysky » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:52 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have a deeper understanding of the situation now. If I purchased an ODRIOID-C2 instead of a RPi3, do we ship all the same packages, particularly kodi, for this platform? I browsed http://mi.us.mirror.archlinuxarm.org/aarch64/ but did not find any kodi packages.
graysky
Developer

Postby andiling » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:45 pm

Use a Debian distribution in that case as they have aarch64 packages of Kodi. Running aarch32 on aarch64 is generally possible but you need all libs used by Kodi in aarch32 as well.
andiling

PreviousNext

Return to ARMv8 Devices