Fresh Install Errors

Development on core packages and the distribution goes on in here.

Fresh Install Errors

Postby Grenti » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:28 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 't')ar -xzvf PlugApps-Linux-2011.02-rootfs.tar.gz # This will take a long time

This always ends with multiple "Operation not permitted" errors and ultimately "tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors."

I checked the md5sum and it matched up. I'm not sure what the problem is.
Grenti

Re: Fresh Install Errors

Postby pepedog » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:53 pm

Was the drive mounted?
I also got this because fdisk got end blocks wrong, the extract went well for a while then errors somehow un-mounted the drive.
pepedog
Developer

Postby netter » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:09 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('mikestaszel', 'Y')eah, sounds like a bad drive format. Unplug the drive, plug back in, fdisk and mkfs again, then try again. If that doesn't work, your drive probably for whatever reason doesn't like ext2. I've had a drive that I couldn't format to ext2 before (some cheap non-brand one). Worked with FAT32 and NTFS though...

what? a cheap drive only supports fat32 and NTFS? was this drive from Microsoft?
netter

Postby netter » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:20 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('mikestaszel', 'M')icroCenter, they were giving out free 4GB drives before Christmas or something like that. Got what I paid for!

i just don't understand how piece of hardware can be picky about the filesystem, unless of course the usb is too small in size to support a certain filesystem.
netter

Postby kmihelich » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:28 pm

I don't think it's so much that the hardware is picky, more that it's cheap/corrupted hardware that the Linux filesystems can't correct for. While it's certainly possible for a flash drive to be used for a running system, that's not what they excel at, and it's something they notoriously fail at. When in doubt, use another drive or grab a USB hard drive.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Return to Arch Linux ARM