ALSA not detecting the built in sound chip RPi3

Development on core packages and the distribution goes on in here.

ALSA not detecting the built in sound chip RPi3

Postby acrox999 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:01 am

Device: Raspberry Pi 3.

First of all, I don't know if this is the correct section as there's way too many "ambiguous" sections which may serve the same purpose, but I want to apologize if this is not where it should be.

Now on to the main topic, I performed a full system update yesterday and after rebooting I noticed that I don't have sound anymore. It's normal if the sound stops working, but it isn't when I can no longer use amixer, which I used to be able to. Even the mixer applet on LXqt won't let me choose the "soundcard" from the dropdown list (for the ALSA choice) anymore.

What I noticed from yesterday's update was that raspberrypi-firmware/firmware-bootloader/firmware-bootloader-x, alsa-lib, alsa-plugins and also linux-raspberrypi. So it makes it even more confusing for me to find the culprit here. The last time I did a -Syu was 4th of April, not too long ago so it must be one of the latest updates here.

I've tried my best to troubleshoot this but I rarely had any problems with sound so this is probably the first time I'm encountering an ALSA-only issue. I hope any of you can look into this matter. Thank you very much in advance.
acrox999

Re: ALSA not detecting the built in sound chip RPi3

Postby cyph » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:20 pm

I realized you have to add this into /boot/config.txt :
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
dtparam=audio=on
')

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/1078
cyph

Return to Arch Linux ARM