Installing Arch Linux on Hobbitboard Poslab

Development on core packages and the distribution goes on in here.

Installing Arch Linux on Hobbitboard Poslab

Postby kovzone » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:52 am

Dear All,

Currently, I have Hobbitboard from Poslab (Hobbitboard Quad). Unfortunately, it's installed Android from the manufacturer, instead of Linux. I want to change it to Arch Linux.
I'm trying this tutorial https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv ... obbitboard but firstly, I don't know the jumper configuration of my board -1st step- (actually, it's using DIP instead of jumper, because it's from POSLAB, not from Wandboard like in the tutorial). But still, i'm trying next steps.

When I type 'lsusb' command, it shows:
Bus 001 Device 023: ID 18d1:0d02 Google Inc. Celkon A88

But lookslike the tutorial only support for Freescale Industries (15a2) not Google Inc (18d1). cmiiw.

So, how to install Arch Linux on this board?

Thanks,
kovzone

Re: Installing Arch Linux on Hobbitboard Poslab

Postby summers » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:38 am

Well I don't know anything about the hobbitboard - so it may be worth seeing if anyone else answers.

Anyway what about editing imx_usb.conf and adding your usb ids to it?

Also may be worth reading this: https://github.com/boundarydevices/imx_usb_loader
Last edited by summers on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
summers

Postby kovzone » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:46 am

I've tried that, but it's said:
config file <./imx_usb.conf>
vid=0x15a2 pid=0x0054 file_name=mx6_usb_work.conf
vid=0x15a2 pid=0x0061 file_name=mx6_usb_work.conf
vid=0x15a2 pid=0x0063 file_name=mx6_usb_work.conf
vid=0x15a2 pid=0x0071 file_name=mx6_usb_work.conf
vid=0x15a2 pid=0x007d file_name=mx6_usb_work.conf
vid=0x18d1 pid=0x0d02 file_name=mx6_usb_work.conf
main:Could not open device vid=0x18d1 pid=0xd02 err=-3

So, I assume that the mx6_usb_work didn't support other vendor.

Even when I use 'sudo' it still not work.
arif@arif-NB:~/hobbitboard_tools-20160511/linux$ sudo ./imx_usb ../bootbomb-20160510.imx
[sudo] password for arif:
config file <./imx_usb.conf>
vid=0x15a2 pid=0x0054 file_name=mx6_usb_work.conf
vid=0x15a2 pid=0x0061 file_name=mx6_usb_work.conf
vid=0x15a2 pid=0x0063 file_name=mx6_usb_work.conf
vid=0x15a2 pid=0x0071 file_name=mx6_usb_work.conf
vid=0x15a2 pid=0x007d file_name=mx6_usb_work.conf
vid=0x18d1 pid=0x0d02 file_name=mx6_usb_work.conf
config file <./mx6_usb_work.conf>
parse ./mx6_usb_work.conf
18d1:0d02(mx6_qsb) bConfigurationValue =1
Interface 0 claimed
HAB security state: development mode (0x00000000)
status failed
arif@arif-NB:~/hobbitboard_tools-20160511/linux$
kovzone

Postby kovzone » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:39 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'A')lso may be worth reading this: https://github.com/boundarydevices/imx_usb_loader

I've tried that, but looks like the imx_usb.conf also not supporting for VID 18d1.

Also, when I tried this step:
arif@arif-NB:~/hobbitboard_tools-20160511/linux/lutfi$ sudo ./imx_usb u-boot.imx

it's said:
cannot read from file u-boot.imx

where could I get the imx file?
kovzone

Postby summers » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:56 pm

well looks like you are meant to use the bootbomb file to enable the emmc ...

May be worth reading the imx-usb.c source file - then you can see how it works, and what its after.

Also if we could find the author of bootbomb that may help ....

Oh yes - if you look at the binary of bootbomb - looks like its a version of uboot: U-Boot 2015.04-14467-g2230e7b-dirty (Mar 02 2016 - 09:46:21) ...
summers

Postby kovzone » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:49 pm

Not sure if I should use bootbomb or not. I'm really new here. What I want is to install this board into Arch Linux. Also I'm not sure if I should read the source file directly.. I've tried to, but not get anything..
kovzone

Postby summers » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:29 am

Had a bit of time last night to think about how the Hobbitboard is booting. if you read Chaper 8 (P.373) of:

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/reference-manual/IMX6DQRM.pdf

You'll see that the imx6 has several boot modes. Now its clear that what is intended is that it boots from across the USB interface, and that is set by the dip switches/jumpers.

The bootbomb, as well as containing uboot, must contain other code. What must happen is that it gets loaded to memory - it runs, and that exposes the eMMC to the USB as amass storage device; and this is what you use to install. Now as long as bootbomb installs to memory, one can hope it won't do damage. But then again do we know what bootbomb does - I don't see it documented.

You will though need to set the dip switches such that the machine boots from somewhere you can provide executable. So You'll need the manual that describes those dip switches. Alas I couldn't find anything, not a proper data sheet or anything. So that seems the hurdle to overcome ...
summers

Postby kovzone » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:23 am

Thank you for your reply summers.

When you pointed out that the problem is about dip switch, I'm trying to boot hobbit board and change the dip switch with several possibilities. I use usbview to see what VID is detected by the computer. I was expecting, if I'm setting the dip switch with correct boot configuration (serial download mode or as you said "boots from across the USB interface") by brute force (trying many possibilities of dip switch 1-6 on-off), I will find 15a2 as VID (freescale semiconductor). But after I tried many configuration of dip switch, the result of VID is always 18D1 (Google).

I wonder, what will be happened if somehow, I change the dip switch into the correct boot mode? What can I observe? As I find that VID maybe is not the one that will be changed if I set the boot mode correctly, or is it?

edit:
I read on the manual you pointed out, it's said: "The boot ROM uses the state of the BOOT_MODE and eFUSEs to determine the boot
device". Should I figure out where's the eFUSEs in the hobbit board? :? :? :?
kovzone

Postby summers » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:38 am

So starting from the Reference Manual, Table 8-1 Boot Mode pin settings

10 -Internal Boot ; my guess is this would be the normal boot mode
01 -Serial Downloader ; this is the download over USB

Now from table 8-3 we see that BootMode pins are the first pair of the GPIO override contact asignments. My expectation would be is that these are the pins wired to the dip switches.

So My guess would be in usual boot mode, the two left most dip switches, have one up and one down for Internal Boot. To do boot over usb, we need to flip both these switches. This would agree with the graphic on the arch install page.

Now if this doesn't work, I'd go back to Poslab; and ask them what the dip switches are for, and which ones give BOOT_MODEn.

Good call that it will enumerate the USB as a freescale device, as its booting from ROM, and that is a freescale - my guess would be the same. Note that Section 8.2.4. says you only have 90s from power on to start things, so you'll need to keep an eye on that.

Turning to eFUSE; fuses blow on over current. So the eFUSE bits will be set on whether the fuse has blown or not. Fuses once blown can never be reset. So the eFUSE is to set up a secure environment, e.g. write the boot set up for the imx6; then blow the fuses - and you can't interrupt the boot any more. This would be quite constraining for a development board, so I suspect the eFUSE isn't used on the Hobbitboard.

Hope this helps, and wish we could find the author of bootbomb!
summers

Postby kovzone » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:31 am

Thanks summers,

Let's assume that that's the correct configuration for serial downloader. What will I observe? Sorry, I'm really new to this.
kovzone

Next

Return to Arch Linux ARM