linux-armv7 patches not applied?

Development on core packages and the distribution goes on in here.

linux-armv7 patches not applied?

Postby rkjnsn » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:42 am

I was trying to rebuild my kernel with this patch. After updating the PKGBUILD with the patch and adding a new git apply line modeled after the existing ones, I noticed that makepkg wasn't actually applying the patch. In fact, it didn't appear to be applying any of them.

I believe this is because the kernel source code is being downloaded via a tar ball, not git, so git apply doesn't do anything (since the files to be patched are not part of a git repository). Probably the PKGBUILD should be using patch instead?
rkjnsn

Re: linux-armv7 patches not applied?

Postby rkjnsn » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:58 pm

I figured it out. git apply can apply patches outside of a git repository, but if one is within a git repository, it will interpret the paths relative to the repository and ignore any paths that resolve outside of the current working directory. Since I was running makepkg directly from my checkout of the PKGBUILD repository, git apply was interpreting paths relative to that instead of the linux source directory, and thus silently not applying any of the patches.

It'd be nice if the PKGBUILD worked in this situation. Unfortunately, GNU Patch doesn't support git binary diffs yet, so that's not an option. Maybe it could call git init in the linux source directory to ensure the paths are interpret consistently?

In any event, it looks like the package was updated to 5.0.7, which includes the patch I needed.
rkjnsn

Return to Arch Linux ARM