why is GCC 8.3.0 still in [core] and not v9.2.0?

Development on core packages and the distribution goes on in here.

why is GCC 8.3.0 still in [core] and not v9.2.0?

Postby Megver83 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:54 am

GCC 9 has been in the PKGBUILDs.git repo since June, but there's v8.3.0 build still in [core]. There are some packages that I've which require GCC 9. Why hasn't it been upgraded? would it be possible to, at least, add a gcc9 package? I know I can build it myself, but would be nice to know why this divergence between what's in [core] and what's in git is happening
Megver83

Re: why is GCC 8.3.0 still in [core] and not v9.2.0?

Postby summers » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:23 am

Arch applies a patch to GCC, something to do with alignment on IIRC armv6. Now changes in gcc about 8.3 mean that the patch no longer applies cleanly. The change is simple, and easily made, but Kevin hasn't yet submitted the patch to the mainline arch PKGBUILDs. Until that patch is submitted, the automatic build of the package fails, and so we stay on 8.3.

So to build, all you need to do is download the PKGBUILD for gcc, then either correct the patch, or remove it. Then the standard build process works. Note that compiling gcc is heavy on resources, on my 0.5GB RAM beagle its crashes with the oom killer. My odroid-c2 with 2GB ram it compiles fine (in about a day).

So if its armv8, you are after, I can unload the .pkg.tar.xz files to my web site, which would solve the compile hassle. I haven't yet managed to compile gcc for armv7 or armv5, my gcc isn't taking the change in architecture flags, and need to dig into why ...
summers

Return to Arch Linux ARM