Problems in Disk partitioning using Parted package

Development on core packages and the distribution goes on in here.

Problems in Disk partitioning using Parted package

Postby LisaD » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:32 am

Query : Parted utility compiled for ARM fails to create partition with files ystem for 1.1 TB or more.

Hi,

I need to make partition of more than 2 TB from an arm board, so started with PARTED utility. For now I am just trying to create partitions less than 2 TB. Once this works, i can go for partitions of more than 2 TB. ELF_PARTITION=y (enabled in kernel).

To configure Parted-3.2 source code, following packages were needed.

1] ncurses.

2] util-Linux-ng-2.16.2 (for uuid)

3] termcap-1.3.1

4] readline-6.3

5] lvm2-2_02_121

Compiled all the dependent packages for arm and copied all the libs and include folders of each package in one place.

Now I have successfully configured parted-3.2 package for arm. make , make install all are successfull.

I have applied the same procedure for compiling parted-3.2 for native x86 machine.

So, now i have two folders, arm and native containing the libs,includes and sbin compiled for respective platform.

Iam able to create partition of 1.1TB or more along with filesystem on native machine (x86) using native parted binary.

But Iam not able to create partition of 1.1TB or more with file system on arm board using arm parted binary. Partition of lessthan 1.1TB along with file system is successfully created on arm board.

logs :

for partition lessthan 1.1TB.

$ parted /dev/sda

GNU Parted 3.2 Using /dev/sda Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.

(parted) mklabel gpt

Warning: The existing disk label on /dev/sda will be destroyed and all data on this disk will be lost. Do you want to continue? Yes/No? yes
(parted) p
Model: ATA ST2000DM001-1ER1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 2000GB roblox music codes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags

(parted)mkpart abcd ext3 1 1000000
mkpart abcd ext3 1 1000000

(parted) EXT3-fs (sda1): error: unrecognized mount option "usefree" or missing value

EXT3-fs: barriers not enabled attempt to access beyond end of device sda1: rw=0, want=1953234984, limit=1953122304 JBD: IO error reading journal superblock EXT3-fs (sda1): error loading journal

p

Disk /dev/sda: 2000GB

1 1049kB 1000GB 1000GB ext3 abcd

(parted)

In this case when I exit from parted, i can see /dev/sda1 created.

For partition morethan or equal to 1.1TB :

mklabel gpt

Warning: The existing disk label on /dev/sda will be destroyed and all data on this disk will be lost. Do you want to continue? Yes/No? yes

(parted) p

(parted) mkpart abcd ext3 1 1100000

Error: Error informing the kernel about modifications to partition /dev/sda1 -- Invalid argument. This means Linux won't know about any changes you made to /dev/sda1 until you reboot -- so you shouldn't mount it or use it in any way before rebooting. Ignore/Cancel? i

(parted) p

1 1049kB 1100GB 1100GB ext3 abcd

(parted)

Error informing kernel about modifications to partitions. I get the same error when i run partprobe. In this case /dev/sda1 is not created unless i reboot the board. I dont want to reboot the board. Plz help me with this.
Same thing works fine with "fdisk" utility .
LisaD

Return to Arch Linux ARM