Aarch64 image boot in qemu-system-aarch64 -m raspi3b

Development on core packages and the distribution goes on in here.

Aarch64 image boot in qemu-system-aarch64 -m raspi3b

Postby sorinp » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:48 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to boot the Raspberry Pi 3b plus aarch64 image in qemu, but the Arch kernel does not support usb-net and usb-keyboard, so the image is unusable. If I boot the raspberry pi os kernel with all the modules available, it has support for all these qemu devices and also usb-mouse and perhaps other usb emulated devices.

Can you please consider adding atleast the usb-keyboard and usb-net drivers to this image's kernel, please?

Also, it would be nice to have avahi-daemon preinstalled and running, so that a headless machine can be flashed with this image and become accessible automatically as alarm.local, instead of finding the IP address in router's logs. It would be a boon to be able to connect a headless unconfigured image and configuring it via ansible or other scripts, by knowing it has the alarm.local initial address.

Another problem I encountered: the emulated network device is a USB ethernet dongle recognised as usb0. systemd-networkd only brings up en* and eth* devices instead of all (*). At least it should bring up usb*, too.

If you need a test setup, please let me know and I will provide the qemu command line and instructions.

Thank you!
sorinp

Return to Arch Linux ARM