dmcrypt/luks/lvm system encryption with ALARM?

Development on core packages and the distribution goes on in here.

dmcrypt/luks/lvm system encryption with ALARM?

Postby gfvos » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:12 am

I am planning to run a LVM on LUKS encrypted Archlinux ARM install on my Raspberry Pi just like I have already running on several other PCs. But, all I see is the dd-able .img file, so is this setup even possible to do on an sd-card with Archlinux ARM?

The Archlinux installer took care of this on my other systems, so I'm a bit lost without it, I guess... and I suppose an Arch ARM installer isn't planned, so I'd appreciate any pointers on how to set this up manually.
gfvos

Re: dmcrypt/luks/lvm system encryption with ALARM?

Postby pepedog » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:28 pm

I was kinda forced down the dd route by the Pi people, as there would be possibly many newbies with access to perhaps windows only environment.
Of course there is a regular rootfs tarball, you could make your own this way.
Create card the dd way, copy all files from fat partition to /boot on second partition, you will restore them back when you have prepped the card.
Here is a script for making a card, not suggestion you use it, but it's good down to
# mount partition
And don't use label options immediatly above when formatting.
https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/blob/master/packages/tools/bcm2835-bootloader/files/create_sdcard
pepedog
Developer

Postby gfvos » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:12 pm

Okay, so I looked at the documentation on archlinuxarm/rpi that's scattered across the web, and I admit that I'm a bit lost. The initial boot process of Archlinux ARM on the Raspberry Pi seems to be a lot different from what I'm used to.

How would I even get it to boot into a LUKS partition instead of the ext4 partition that is in the dd image? I see no initramfs in /boot, wouldn't that be necessary to be able to execute the encrypt and lvm hooks in order to boot into a LUKS+LVM root partition?

edit: just realized that I probably posted this thread in totally the wrong subforum, sorry about that.
gfvos

Postby pepedog » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:15 pm

I think you ought to download the openelec binaries and GitHub, just to see how they do the initramfs
pepedog
Developer

Return to Arch Linux ARM