Feedback Please! Pogoplug users!

Development on core packages and the distribution goes on in here.

Re: Feedback Please! Pogoplug users!

Postby outlet » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:14 pm

1. The primary reason I like Arch Linux ARM is for samba. I don't have a problem configuring it over SSH.

2. I don't care about being able to control SSH privacy over the web.

3. I guess you could disable the auto updates and give the option to manually update. Would rather wait for features then have my plug break suddenly
outlet

Postby feverdream » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:52 am

I worry about security; I don't want third party servers able to read or write to my files, pics of family, etc on the off chance they start to sell it to marketers and spamming companies for extra profit. :(

Not to mention, the my.pogoplug connector has so many things hard coded into it.. and a lot things simply do not have to be. My personal opinion is that this shows pure laziness, and a little paranoia.. and of course the system is so trivial that in itself, so that sort of thing is laughable imho. The sad thing is this hard codeddness get in the way of the functionality of the device, as shown by the fact that it actively breaks samba

My question is why would you want to recreate this service? You have a LOT more work to recreate their system on the server side than you do on the client side, and its not the code that is the hard part from the look of it. Hardware, a dedicated command in control network center for that large amount of connected devices and users, that is the hard part. They no doubt leveraged their cloud computing efforts on this, just as they leveraged the open source stuff for the client device. It would be much simpler if you only had to worry about one user, and made the software open source.

To tell you the truth, I have yet to see anything they created themselves, just parts they took from others and put together in ways that are common and part of the intended use of the pieces.
feverdream

Postby outlet » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:26 pm

I don't care being able to use the online security options for SSH. You can just use OpenSSH and don't have to mess with a work around.

I would just like samba lan access, What do you mean by configure Sabma through the my.pogoplug service.

When I had ARCH LEENUCKS ARM!1ONE, I hardly used the pogoplug web interface, I just accessed everything through samba.
outlet

Postby outlet » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:58 pm

Ah, shows how much I use the my.pogoplug site. I have seen the sharing options, but not how to create workgroups or users.

I would prefer configuring myself. I don't use the website that much really.
outlet

Postby outlet » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:51 pm

When do you think an update Arch Linux ARM will be available? I would love to give it a shot!
outlet

Postby drinkypoo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:12 pm

All I want is debian. the debian ARM team's refusal to put out a distribution for this device is simple laziness, since it clearly works. There's no benefit to using Arch that I can see and now I have to learn a whole new Linux and all its workarounds for no particular reason except obstinacy on the part of someone involved with Debian :(
drinkypoo

Postby Socaltom » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:09 am

I'm reviving an old thread, but... I bought my Pogoplug, with the intent of sharing files in the home. I didn't like the idea of putting my stuff " in the cloud". I tried working with my pogoplug, but in the year or so I owned it, it was unplugged and laying in the bottom of my electronics junk. I decided to see what was available for hacks and found this site. Now, I'm running samba and pyTivo and its working like a charm. Thanks a lot to the folks that put this all together.
Tom :mrgreen:
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby tals » Sat May 07, 2011 5:27 am

Another thank you from a grateful pogoplug user. Bought the pogoplug this week mainly with the intention of having it as a 'simple' file server for the family, wasn't too bothered about the cloud stuff but if it had to be it had to be :). All looked good until I set up the apps on the pc and the application which ensures the drive mapping is insanely intensive on process and disc activity effectively killing the pc for other options. Not sure why pogo plug didn't go for a cut down version of samba rather than this :(

Followed the wiki instructions to convert which are really well done and so far now have samba/minidnla all running sweetly after just a few hours and the file server if anything is a td quicker using samba :)
tals

Return to Arch Linux ARM