package architecture is not valid

Development on core packages and the distribution goes on in here.

package architecture is not valid

Postby gdw » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:12 am

I have a weird scenario here. I've installed archlinux in a chroot on my android phone. I initially used the plain ole 'arm' architecture, and then recently decided to change it to 'armv7h' by changing the value in /etc/pacman.conf and /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist and reinstalling every package.

All has gone well, except for 'udev-automount'. I've been able to install it manually by downloading the package from the mirror and 'pacman -U'ing it, but when I try to install it using 'pacman -S', I get the following message. It only happens for this particular package -- none of the others:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'error: failed to prepare transaction (package architecture is not valid)
:: package udev-automount-1.0-3-arm does not have a valid architecture
')

It's obvious to me that it should be looking for 'udev-automount...armv7h' instead of 'udev-automount...arm'.

Any ideas?
gdw

Re: package architecture is not valid

Postby sdjf » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:19 pm

You may have just been lucky that the other packages worked and this one did not.

I think you need to see whether chroot changed your architecture by running following command:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

I am no expert at this but, as I understand it, software written for specific hardware architecture cannot be guaranteed to run on another architecture. I do not think you can change a chip to some other architecture like that, you can change the file system, but not the architecture that is built in to the hardware.
sdjf

Return to Arch Linux ARM