Why?

Development on core packages and the distribution goes on in here.

Re: Why?

Postby hfrjkse » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:42 pm

Then they will leave my post without any answer. Regarding your comment - if you have nothing helpful to say, don't say anything. Just ignore my posts and everybody would be happy.
hfrjkse

Postby WarheadsSE » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:53 am

Again, we didn't "do" this. It's from Upstream
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby hfrjkse » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:25 am

I'm just wondering - it's unlikely, but: is there any chance that the ownership problems appeared because to unpack the image I used tar -xzvf ArchLinuxARM-kirkwood-latest.tar.gz instead of ./bsdtar -xpf ArchLinuxARM-kirkwood-latest.tar.gz ?
Bsdtar gives errors when trying to unpack on Pogoplug E02, please check yourself. Maybe installation tutorial should be checked and updated?

And the second thought - I didn't update uboot this time. I used the one from end of 2013, is this a problem?

BTW. I found a backup copy of my image (end of 2013) and everything works there as expected. No single issue, except it breaks up when trying to update. On the fresh installation made this week I have nothing but problems I described before. If I invoke the same commands (creting folders as not-root users, changing ovnership, making packages etc.) they work perfectly on the old image and they don't on the fresh one. There must be a reason for that.
hfrjkse

Postby calzon65 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:32 am

Per hfrjkse's comments above regarding bsdtar, there may be some issues with the PogoPlug V2 installation instructions.

Tonight I needed to reinstall one of my PogoPlug V2 systems from scratch because after I ran a pacman -Syu, my system was no longer bootable. So instead of using my own installation scripts, I followed the Installation instructions. I also had trouble using bsdtar, so I reverted to tar -xvf and completed the install. Below is the error from using bsdtar.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', './usr/bin/ping6: Cannot restore extended attributes on this file system
./usr/bin/ping: (null)')

I was also interested to run the U-Boot initialization script since when I originally installed Arch on this PogoPlug several years ago, the script was not available. I received the error below when I ran the script. I believe changing md5sum -cs to md5sum -c will resolve the issue, but since I didn't write this script and am not familiar with md5sum, I didn't want to render any judgments. I will say that when I changed the md5sum argument from -cs to -c the script appeared to run correctly on my system, and my system does boot Arch.

Below is the output from running the original U-Boot script before I changed the md5sum arguments.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Downloading flash utilities..
blparammd5sum: invalid option -- 's'
Try 'md5sum --help' for more information.
[FAILED]

Failed to install U-Boot. DO NOT REBOOT
Please seek assistance at:
http://archlinuxarm.org/forum
#archlinux-arm on irc.freenode.net
')

This is the output after I changed the md5sum arguments (e.g., I replaced the occurrences of md5sum -cs with md5sum -c).

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Downloading flash utilities..
blparamblparam: OK
[OK]
flash_eraseflash_erase: OK
[OK]
fw_printenvfw_printenv: OK
[OK]
nanddumpnanddump: OK
[OK]
nandwritenandwrite: OK
[OK]

Downloading U-Boot and environment..
uboot-pogo_e02.kwbuboot-pogo_e02.kwb: OK
[OK]
uboot-pogo_e02.envuboot-pogo_e02.env: OK
[OK]

Installing..
saving MAC address [00:25:31:00:92:19]
erasing U-Boot NAND [OK]
erasing environment [OK]
writing U-Boot [OK]
writing environment [OK]

Validating..
Block size 131072, page size 2048, OOB size 64
Dumping data starting at 0x00000000 and ending at 0x00080000...
Block size 131072, page size 2048, OOB size 64
Dumping data starting at 0x000c0000 and ending at 0x000e0000...

checking U-Bootuboot-pogo_e02.kwb: OK
[OK]
checking environmentuboot-pogo_e02.env: OK
[OK]
setting MACmount: / is busy
[OK]

U-Boot has been installed successfully.
')
calzon65

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:24 pm

bsdtar: the filesystem was not mounted with extended attributes.

blparammd5sum: sounds to me like that firmware revision didn't have the necessary functionality. This is annoying, but happens.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby calzon65 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:08 am

Thanks for the feedback WarheadsSE.

The mount command from the PogoPlug V2 instructions reads mount /dev/sda1 alarm, is there a change that can be made to those instructions for a proper mount command? It might help future folks using the PogoPlug V2.

Regarding the md5sum command option error, is there something that can be done to that firmware installation script to rectify the problem? My solution was to remove the md5sum "s" option, but I don't know if that was a proper fix; for me it was the only way I could get the script to complete. Also, it appears the man page for md5sum does not show an "s" option, so I'm wondering if its inclusion in the install script is an error.
calzon65

Previous

Return to Arch Linux ARM