Arch on Single Board Computer?

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

Arch on Single Board Computer?

Postby Angela2801 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:44 am

I have seen a few posts suggesting but am unsure on this. Does anyone know if there is a cheap single board computer you can install Arch on?

I know there is Arch Linux ARM but this is not supported by the Arch community. I am essentially wanting something like a Pi to learn Arch with on actual hardware opposed to in a virtual environment but have no old hardware I can use.
Angela2801

Re: Arch on Single Board Computer?

Postby TheSaint » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:49 pm

This might give an interest.
TheSaint

Postby summers » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:30 am

As the other thread says, yes there are cheap boards starting at about $5. But the question you have to ask is what do you want on the SBC?

Do you want to attach a keyboard and display?

Do you want a huge control over input and output interfaces?

Do you want to use it as a NAS?

Do you want it to be a router?

Each of these questions push you in a different direction, and different hardware solution. But all are possible. So you need to think a bit first and explain your needs ...
summers

Postby moonman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:33 pm

Is OP looking for something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KJMDD9S/
Essentialy SBC with x86(-64) cpu. There are tons of them, and I am pretty sure ArchLinux will run on all of them.

However, I don't see how you can't lean Arch on an ARM board running an ArchLinuxArm. The biggest differences will be a different bootloader, possibly a non mainline kernel (depends on the board, some will run mainline just fine, some will have limitations) and specific proprietary drivers.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi B 512 | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | |[armv5] How to install my.pogoplug.com service | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Return to Community