ALARM for a new server?

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

ALARM for a new server?

Postby technosf » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:20 am

This is a tough question to ask, having found ArchLinux ARM back when I discovered the Pogo Plug, and this vibrant community excited by a rolling distro on handsome, tiny and cheap servers. I have learned so much, and owe so much to this community... And especially to the Admins :D

I am waiting on my MochaBin, which will become my server/router, replacing my trusty arm5te system. With no knowledge of if the MochaBin will be supported, I started thinking about using the default Debian distro with it. And my main question, which I put to you: Should I switch to Debian and away from ALARM? Have you been thinking similarly?

And then I started to think about how this community has changed in the last few years, with a slowing of conversations in the forums, and with the understandable narrowing of focus onto arm7 & arm8, it feels, or I feel a little lost. I am no longer wrestling with setting up services, learning about systemd... I am stuck. I would like to offer more back to the community, but I can't find an on-ramp to, say, figure out how to port ALARM onto my soon to arrive MochaBin. Or to know what else I could do to add some vibrancy here.

I dread the thought of moving from ALARM - I just do. But maybe its time?
[size=85] MochaBin 5G || NSA325 [/size]
technosf

Re: ALARM for a new server?

Postby moonman » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:30 am

You just need a mochabin specific kernel for now and you can continue using ALARM. Chances are really high that support for this device will be mainlined (if it isn't already) eventually and you will be to use multi-device kernel linux-armv8. This was the case for SolidRun Clearfog for example it is now fully supported by generic linux-armv7 package.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Return to Community