What comes after plug computers?

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

Re: What comes after plug computers?

Postby thejinx0r » Mon May 30, 2011 1:13 am

I think its an evolution.

Sort of like the netbook with asus ee'epc 701 which was running linux and one of it`s kind. Drove the prices down and now people are wanting to use their "plugs" to watch movies and be their all the time.
thejinx0r

Postby Socaltom » Mon May 30, 2011 1:44 am

About the same time I discovered Arch Linux ARM, I discovered the Pandigital Novel. Originally a cheap ereader,now a cheap android tablet. Its also an arm powered device, I could see a tablet similar to this replacing the Arch Linux ARM install. The only thing this is missing is a usb host mode. I hope theplug concept remains, but if it doesn't a tablet with usb and bluetooth could be a low power server.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby BinaryJay » Mon May 30, 2011 5:15 pm

Personally I'm a bit disappointed that more hasn't happened with the plug market. Equally, I preferred the first round of plugs that were actually wall warts where the pogoplug v2 turned into a box that needs floor/shelf space.

I think the problem is that the mass market doesn't know what to do with "servers" and is in full on portable mode. Everybody seems willing to pay for anything they can carry around with them that has a pretty touch screen on it and simply can't see the value of something without a screen at all.

So, perhaps the previous poster is correct that headless plugs are going to be no more and small netbooks/tablets which can be made to take over the functions of plugs today but with the ability to pick it up and carry it around will be the future.
BinaryJay

Postby Socaltom » Tue May 31, 2011 4:27 am

In the long run, its all abou what you can sell a lot of. Tablets are getting the hype right now, because the iphone/ipad business model is so profitable. Selling tablets at at low cost,but making money on apps and music works really well. The plug computer business only makes sense if you make it really easy. Pogo is trying, but sites like pandora are easier and faster.
Arch Linux ARM install linux is really great, but too complicated for most home users, who are think apps, that do one thing are great.
I suggeseted tablets cause,they are cheap, and don't use a lot of power, and appear to be plentiful. Now if Pogo started selling apps for the pogoplug, they might sell more.
I thought android was built on linux?
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby zachofalltrades » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:35 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('crimsonredmk', 'M')eanwhile, Android becomes defacto for these tablets and netbooks. Nvidia has already said it won't bother with Linux on the Tegra platform. Thanks a lot.

Nvidia=Microsoft http://www.google.com/search?q=nvidia+microsoft

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('SocalTom', 'I') thought android was built on linux?

linux kernel < [ (linux kernel + GNU tools) || (linux kernel + X)]
android = linux kernel + dalvik JRE + libraries
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Syste ... ecture.jpg
----------
ALARM on TonidoPlug : Nginx, NFS, owncloud
ALARM on RaspberryPi : PocketMine-MP
zachofalltrades

Postby android » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:06 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('zachofalltrades', '.')..
android = linux kernel + dalvik JRE + libraries

The above is not correct.

android != linux kernel || a system built using the linux kernel

android = a FORK of the linux kernel

It is no longer compatible with the linux kernel in any substantial way, i.e. a linux executable (userland or kernel) will not run on android.

This is really just the latest example of a multi-billion dollar company trying to suck up the 20 years of hard work by the linux community and make it their personal profit engine. Sort of like what StarFuc#s did after neighborhood coffee shop entrepreneurs spent years pioneering the espresso drink market in North America.

Apparently people really like it when a bloated monopoly corporation crushes small individual businesses. At least, there's no shortage of people running into stores to throw money at them. It's very very POPuLAR.

Ooops! Seems I've digressed into a rant while waiting for this kernel to build. Time to get back to work, afterall, somebody's got to prop up this ponzy scheme of status materialism 8-)
android

Return to Community