Can someone explain me the Build Environment?

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

Can someone explain me the Build Environment?

Postby redbrain » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:40 am

Hello,

I'am new to this project and would like to now how the build environment works. Which components are involved and what needs to be done until I can deploy an rootfs image to my favorite ARM board? I already discovered crosstool-NG for the toolchain and read in the wiki the part about distributed cross compiling

I'am familar with yocto and buildroot but new to the Arch World and how everything glued together.

Best regards,
redbrain

Re: Can someone explain me the Build Environment?

Postby graysky » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:27 pm

You're asking a few different questions in there... you deploy a rootfs simply by setting up the media and untarring the image as detailed on the device specific pages.

A build environment refers to minimally makepkg (included in the pacman package). If you want help compiling, use distcc on the ARM device and on an x86_64 machine (toolchain needed here) not on the ARM device.

See:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Di ... _Linux_ARM
https://archlinuxarm.org/wiki/Distcc_Cross-Compiling
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Makepkg
graysky
Developer

Postby redbrain » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:07 pm

Ok. I summarize how I understood it. Please correct me if its wrong or incomplete.

I take a build master system which is it self a ARM system and I take some build clients which are ARM or x86_64 systems. I install on all of them Arch Linux and prepare them with distcc and the crostool-NG toolchain (only x86) (downloaded or as a self-build) and install base-devel group packages everywhere.

Then I need a bunch of PKGBUILD files which are need for a base system (first I'll take all of the core dir right?) and compile all of them with makepkg. Then I get a lot of tar.gz files. Do I get a RootFS image here automatically here or is there an extra step to create that image?

Then I prepare a SD-Card by putting a u-boot bootloader and a rootfs image with kernel on it. Hopefully my Hardware accept the u-boot und kernel configuration and everything boots up.

Is that the right way to go?
redbrain

Postby graysky » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:56 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('redbrain', 'I') take a build master system which is it self a ARM system and I take some build clients which are ARM or x86_64 systems. I install on all of them Arch Linux and prepare them with distcc and the crostool-NG toolchain (only x86) (downloaded or as a self-build) and install base-devel group packages everywhere.

What you are describing will allow you to build your own packages from their respective PKGBUILD+files (if any) should you want to.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('redbrain', 'T')hen I need a bunch of PKGBUILD files which are need for a base system (first I'll take all of the core dir right?) and compile all of them with makepkg. Then I get a lot of tar.gz files. Do I get a RootFS image here automatically here or is there an extra step to create that image?

Your rootfs is already on your devices from step 1. What do you want to accomplish? Do you want to compile everything yourself from source like gentoo? Arch ARM is a binary distro/you do not need to do this.
graysky
Developer

Postby redbrain » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:11 am

I get soon a new board with i.mx8 (ARMv8-A 64-bit) which is not yet supported. So I thought that the first rootfs I need to build myself. If a binary works for me out-of the box there it will simplyfy it. But my experiences with yocto told me that at least I have to configure the u-boot and the kernel stuff and the build give me an image afterwards. So what are the steps in this scenario?

Best regards,
redbrain

Postby redbrain » Wed May 08, 2019 6:07 pm

So I got my first two ARM Boards booting. But I'am still confused how the Build Environment on your side works. I found out that these plugbuild repo exists for that. But there is no much documentation how to set a buildfarm up and how it interact with the Upstream sources and so on.

Is there any further documentation about your buildfarm and setting up Plugbuild from scratch?

Best regards,

redbrain
redbrain

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:56 pm

Outside of the main distribution, one should _never_ have to setup PlugBuild. It is not meant for from-scratch, as that would effectively have you creating your own distribution, entirely.

Arch Linux is designed as a binary repository distribution. This means that one normally builds upon the existing upstream packages, only supplying _new_ packages as supplementary.

Let me make this clear:

To add support for a new board, you need only 3 things:
$this->bbcode_list('1')
  • u-boot
  • kernel (if necessary!)
  • Written English script to:
    $this->bbcode_list('a')
  • create disk partitions & format them
  • install u-boot / spl to medium
  • unpack kernel & rootfs into formatted paritions
  • Core Developer
    Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
    WarheadsSE
    Developer

Postby patrickfrance » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:05 pm

Hello,

I too am new to this project and would like to know how the building environment works. So thanks for your help..
    Last edited by patrickfrance on Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
    patrickfrance

Postby joyschwabach » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:58 am

Well I' m here for the same..Hopefully someone will post an accurate solution here.
    joyschwabach

Postby TheSaint » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:37 am

I'd suggest the admins to stick this discussion. Otherwise it might take somebody to write a wiki page ;)
    TheSaint

Return to Community