Wattage Consumption List

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

Wattage Consumption List

Postby Lincon » Tue May 07, 2019 12:26 pm

Hello everyone,,
One of the main reasons I picked up a plug computer is to reduce my home's power usage by replacing an old desktop machine. Before I had a tower with a 400W power supply acting as a server most of the time, but not 24/7 as to save energy (read: money).
However, since electricity bills tend to fluctuate month-to-month (at least, in my home from everyone touching the thermostat), I have never really been able to see what kind of difference using my plug has made. I do not own a wattage measurement device and I am not too keen on the idea of splicing an extension cord to have my multi-meter read the amperage.
showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/ vidmate.vet/
So, out of curiosity, has anyone here calculated the power consumed by their plug computers? I hope this thread can be a location for everyone's amp or wattage readings from their setups, whether just a naked PPPro or a RPI with external hdd and monitor.
Lincon

Re: Wattage Consumption List

Postby krovetz » Fri May 17, 2019 2:12 pm

I just bought an ODROID-N2 with 4GB RAM and 32GB eMMC. Running cpuburn-a53 on its four Cortex-A73's (https://github.com/ssvb/cpuburn-arm) I saw 4-5 watts being consumed. Running two instances of cpuburn-a53 with all six cores enabled (ie, eight processes over six processors) I saw 6 watts being consumed. This does not take into account what would happen if the GPU was also being made to work hard, but these are remarkably low numbers for a powerful machine. At idle it consumes 1-2 watts.

At such a low power consumption the large heatsink appears to be sufficient to avoid thermal throttling. The processor was 30 degrees celsius at idle, and after hours of cpuburn, it peaked at 60 degrees, maintaining 1.8GHz the whole time.
krovetz

Return to Community