what about PI 4

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

what about PI 4

Postby acconciox » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:29 am

hi, can you say something about support to Pi 4. Plans, schedule ...
acconciox

Re: what about PI 4

Postby graysky » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:42 pm

I assume it can run either aarch64 or armv7h like a 3B+. What I don't know is what bootloader requirements are and whether or not the Arch ARM images today will do it. You will have to wait for someone more knowledgeable to reply.
graysky
Developer

Postby soren121 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:34 pm

It was just made available today, OP. Wait for people to get their hands on it first.
soren121

Postby moonman » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:57 am

Finally they got rid of the USB 2.0 bus for everything. Does anyone know if ethernet is sharing bandwidth with USB 3.0 ports? Not a deal breaker anymore with 5Gb available bandwidth, but it would be nice if it wasn't to have more available for USB SSD etc.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby MReimer » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:15 pm

I've got my Pi 4 yesterday and wanted to get it running as soon as possible.

I flashed the SD card "the Raspberry 3 way" which doesn't boot at all.

Then I plugged this SD into a Raspi 2 and updated it.

The Pi 4 seems to boot from this SD now but I can't get it via SSH. I also was not able to access it via serial terminal.

Maybe there is something useful on the HDMI connectors. I've ordered an adapter which should be delivered tomorrow.
MReimer

Postby graysky » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:41 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('MReimer', 'I')'ve got my Pi 4 yesterday and wanted to get it running as soon as possible.

I flashed the SD card "the Raspberry 3 way" which doesn't boot at all.

Then I plugged this SD into a Raspi 2 and updated it.

The Pi 4 seems to boot from this SD now but I can't get it via SSH. I also was not able to access it via serial terminal.

Maybe there is something useful on the HDMI connectors. I've ordered an adapter which should be delivered tomorrow.

Just wondering which vendor has inventory? Also, which image did you use? The armv7h?
graysky
Developer

Postby pkora » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:34 pm

I tried the same with armv8 image but on boot it drops to emergency console with error that it cannot find rootfs, keyboard doesn't work at that point so cannot do much atm
pkora

Postby MReimer » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:35 am

In Germany we have several shops that are able to deliver.

I've used the "Raspberry 2" image (which is used for the Raspi 2 and 3).

Directly it won't work as the image is outdated (firmware too old).

But the packages seem to have the right versions. To get them onto the SD card it has to be put into a Raspi 2 or 3 first so it can be booted. From there just do regular "pacman -Syu".

With the updated SD card the new Raspberry seems to boot at least to "somewhere". No SSH and no serial terminal.

Still waiting for my HDMI adapter to arrive. I don't care at all about the GPU so I thought I won't need the adapter but it seems to be handy to have one for debugging.
MReimer

Postby MReimer » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:27 am

There is "some" kernel config issue.
The kernel itself seems to be OK for the Raspberry Pi 4 but it is (at least) missing the USB driver stuff.
I could rebuild the kernel on my own but I decided to go a "simpler" way and copied over the Raspbian kernel and modules.
With the Raspbian kernel Arch Linux ARM boots without any issues. USB works and network works.

So for a final fix: Kernel config needs to be updated to include the required drivers and an updated SD card image is needed.
MReimer

Postby perosb » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:17 pm

Tried the same but no boot.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '
')With the updated SD card the new Raspberry seems to boot at least to "somewhere". No SSH and no serial terminal.

With only updated packages I get rainbow screen.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '
')With the Raspbian kernel Arch Linux ARM boots without any issues. USB works and network works.

With copied kernel+modules I end up an 4 berrys screen, keyboard works tho.

I copied everything in /boot and copied all folder in /lib/modules/kernel

Any idea? Gonna try vanilla raspbian just to make sure it boots.

edit: vanilla raspbian boots successfully.
perosb

Next

Return to Community