lvm and raspberry pi 3B

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

lvm and raspberry pi 3B

Postby acconciox » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:17 am

Hi, im using Pi3b with x11 and VC4 configuration (/boot/config.txt) in VC4 configuration, lvm start sending messages about dmeventd and polling progress related to lvm, boot is late more than 1 minute.
There is a post where the solution is (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=245213)
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
I set "use_lvmetad = 0" in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf.

Now the shutdown times are back to normal again.')

Now, i dont know what lvm is, is necessary for raspberry? There is some risk on boot failure in a archlinuxarm linux distro, if i add this solution?

thank you.
acconciox

Re: lvm and raspberry pi 3B

Postby joyschwabach » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:12 am

You can think of LVM as "dynamic partitions", meaning that you can create/resize/delete LVM "partitions" (they're called "Logical Volumes" in LVM-speak) from the command line while your Linux system is running: no need to reboot the system to make the kernel aware of the newly-created or resized partitions.

Other nice features that LVM "Logical Volumes" provide are:

If you have more than one hard-disk, Logical Volumes can extend over more than one disk: i.e., they are not limited by the size of one single disk, rather by the total aggregate size.

You can set up "striped" LVs, so that I/O can be distributed to all disks hosting the LV in parallel. (Similar to RAID-0, but a bit easier to set-up.)

You can create a (read-only) snapshot of any LV. You can revert the original LV to the snapshot at a later time, or delete the snapshot if you no longer need it. This is handy for server backups for instance (you cannot stop all your applications from writing, so you create a snapshot and backup the snapshot LV), but can also be used to provide a "safety net" before a critical system upgrade (clone the root partition, upgrade, revert if something went wrong).

While being most useful on server systems, I think that features 1. and 3., combined with LVM's ability to create/resize/delete LVs on the fly, are quite handy on desktop systems as well. (Especially if you experiment a lot with the system.)

Recommend reading: https://docsbay.net/lvm-howto
joyschwabach

Return to Community