Relationship between vanilla Arch repos and ARM repos

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

Relationship between vanilla Arch repos and ARM repos

Postby Andalusia » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:01 pm

Hello, apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it from searches.

What is the precise relationship between the Arch Linux ARM repositories and the vanilla Arch Linux repositories? Do the ARM repos automatically mirror the vanilla repos' PKGBUILDs, then automatically rebuild them? I ask because I've noticed a slight (1–2 day) lag of the ARM repos behind vanilla. I was curious as to what causes this delay. Thank you in advance.
Andalusia

Re: Relationship between vanilla Arch repos and ARM repos

Postby moonman » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:43 am

Yup, that's exactly how it works + all packages that need any chagnes or specific to ALARM are in our github.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby Andalusia » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:42 am

Thanks moonman. So presumably there should be a consistent and predictable delay behind vanilla Arch? Also, is the ~2 day delay just because of processing limitations, or some other reason?

I'm partially curious because python was updated in vanilla Arch from 3.7.4-2 -> 3.8.0-1 on Friday. This meant a bunch of rebuilds in the repos. I manage several packages in the AUR, and I was thinking about bumping pkgvers, which would force users to rebuild the AUR packages, instead of them having to search through and update manually. However, given that there's a delay in the ARM repos but not with the AUR, I'm guessing that wouldn't be so useful for Arch ARM users.
Andalusia

Postby bulletmark » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:34 pm

@Andalusia, I also manage a few python based AUR packages. I just bump the pkgrel straight away because mainstream Arch users are the ones we should make things easiest for. Other than that (and there is a time window there anyway which we can not address), just educate all users that if they see Python AUR package issues after a significant Python version update then they should execute:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
yay -S --rebuildall --noconfirm $(yay -Qqo /usr/lib/python3.7/)
')
to rebuild all AUR packages that need rebuilding.

Ideally, there would be a more automated way to deal with this issue though.
Last edited by bulletmark on Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bulletmark

Postby Andalusia » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:57 pm

Thanks @bulletmark. As a user, I basically do the same, i.e. rebuild locally. If there were a short, predictable delay of ARM behind vanilla repos, there might be an argument for delaying the AUR pkgrel bump, but if it's ~2 days behind, then a delayed bump would potentially give the vanilla users a unworkable packages for those days.

Regarding an automated way, one option might be to cobble a pacman hook script to trigger on python updates. We could extract the version from `python --version`, then automatically call `yay -S` as necessary. This could even be published to the AUR.
Andalusia

Postby bulletmark » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:39 pm

Good idea about the pacman hook. This is a general problem which applies to at least perl and ruby packages also so ideally the hook would deal with all of them.
bulletmark

Postby Andalusia » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:52 pm

Regarding expectations of a consistent, predictable lag, I don't think that is the case.

I updated python 3.8.0-1 at
2019-11-15T19:40:57+1100 for vanilla Arch
2019-11-19T18:16:48+1100 for Arch ARM

For bash 5.0.011-2, it was
2019-11-19T21:55:41+1100 for vanilla Arch
2019-11-20T08:25:00+1100 for Arch ARM

So that's a lag of ~4 days for python, and <1 day for bash.
Andalusia

Return to Community