Running Debian Lenny on the Seagate Dockstar

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

Re: Running Debian Lenny on the Seagate Dockstar

Postby tylernt » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:39 pm

In my experience:

Flashing green = stock mtd0 u-Boot
Flashing orange = stock NAND Pogo OS
Off = new mtd3 u-Boot and USB OS (Arch Linux ARM install/Debian/etc)

I tried putting Lenny on last night and got the same behavior as you; that is, flashing green, off, then flashing green (which means Debian failed and it rebooted), flashing orange (means I'm back to stock NAND OS). However, I was just running /sbin/reboot or hitting the Reset button; maybe tonight I'll try a full powercycle to see if that helps. I was wondering why everyone else seems to be able to boot Lenny and I wasn't, so I hope this is the key. My USB-serial adapter is on it's way too but I'm too impatient to wait for it so I'm flailing about blindly. :-P
tylernt

Postby JusRelax » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Well, I got my serial cable in.. but I can't get it to read correctly. I made sure to connect Tx/Rx/Ground in the correct places; yet, I am getting no response whatsoever when I try to serial in. Unfortunately, this is my first attempt at serial'ing in, so I don't think I have any other units to test on to make sure I'm connecting everything correctly. I purchased this cable here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BI ... ss_product

this cable should work, right?
JusRelax

Postby tylernt » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:38 pm

Yes that does seem to be the cable listed on http://www.yourwarrantyisvoid.com/2010/ ... rial-port/ . I see that page mentions that it doesn't work with Windows so I'll assume you are using Linux on the USB end of the cable. You setting 115200 baud, 8 bits, 1 stop bit, No parity, and No Flow Control?

One thing you can do to test is bridge the TX and RX pins on your adapter cable. Then when you type into minicom (or whatever), you should see your characters echoed back to you.
tylernt

Postby JusRelax » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:47 pm

So apparently, even though my cables were clearly listed as TX/RX/GND, the TX and RX were mixed up. Go figure. :P Good news is I successfully unbricked my Dockstar, and am now running on Arch Linux ARM install. Bad news is that for some reason I couldn't get Debian up. Arch Linux ARM install should be sufficient for my needs, but it's interesting that the Debian installation wouldn't work. For some reason, my Dockstar refused to ever enter into Debian; it would always default to Pogoplug.

I'm just happy to be up and running!
JusRelax

Postby LaTristesse » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:06 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('JusRelax', 'I') am getting no response whatsoever when I try to serial in.

How do I "serial in" with a mac os x terminal or linux terminal?
LaTristesse

Postby tylernt » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:16 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('JusRelax', 'S')o apparently, even though my cables were clearly listed as TX/RX/GND, the TX and RX were mixed up. Go figure. :P

Your PC RX's on the pin the DockStar TX's on, so it all depends on your perspective. ;)
tylernt

Postby ranganadhm » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:41 pm

Hey JusRelax,

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('JusRelax', 'S')o apparently, even though my cables were clearly listed as TX/RX/GND, the TX and RX were mixed up. Go figure. :P Good news is I successfully unbricked my Dockstar, and am now running on Arch Linux ARM install. Bad news is that for some reason I couldn't get Debian up. Arch Linux ARM install should be sufficient for my needs, but it's interesting that the Debian installation wouldn't work. For some reason, my Dockstar refused to ever enter into Debian; it would always default to Pogoplug.

I'm just happy to be up and running!

I am in the same shoes as you were! I didn't understand on how your problem was solved. Do you mean you restored SSH by starting "hbadmin" script through console/serial? or can any other Linux distribution be booted from USB to restore SSH access?

I dont have a serial console! Please suggest how can i get back the control to my Dockstar?

Thanks
Ranga
ranganadhm

Previous

Return to Community