Biggest dork (or, what are you doing with your Plug)?

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

Re: Biggest dork (or, what are you doing with your Plug)?

Postby aerotoad » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:07 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('DePingus', '
')Mine has rTorrent running in a screen as a daemon. I use blockcontrol (moblock) to protect it. It also has uShare to share videos to my Xbox360. And samba to manage all those files. It works great.

I tried proFTP because I have a wireless security camera that sends images via FTP. But it would choke the system.

Sounds like a neat setup, though. Hard to beat this hardware, especially since it runs all that for $25!
aerotoad

Postby LaTristesse » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:00 pm

Thanks for your efforts. Do you know how to configure mpd? I followed the steps at http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mpd and copied the" mpdconf.example" to "/etc/" and edited the conf like described. When I try to start mpd I get a "Failed" Message and the "/var/log/mpd/mpd.log" is empty although I set the log to verbose. Any suggestions? Would appreciate your help.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('aerotoad', 'I')s the Syncmaster just a monitor?

No it has also a build-in graphic chip, that's why asked for. I thought you might know it. I'm searching for someone who could share his/her experiences with me :)
LaTristesse

Postby aerotoad » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:03 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('LaTristesse', '
')No it has also a build-in graphic chip, that's why asked for. I thought you might know it. I'm searching for someone who could share his/her experiences with me :)

Looks like it may be a displayink product as well (http://www.displaylink.com/product_archive.html), so the SyncMaster monitor probably uses the udlfb driver as well. If you plug in the monitor, does the kernel load "udlfb", and does the screen turn green? If so, you're in business. You might need to load udlfb manually
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'modprobe -v udlfb')

Can you post the output of lsub with the monitor plugged in?

Admin, thanks for the update. I'll make the /etc/makepkg.conf switch next time.
aerotoad

Postby LaTristesse » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:07 pm

As soon as I get my dockstar up again with the serial cable I will post the output.
LaTristesse

Postby dockstarfan » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:03 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('aerotoad', 'J')ust curious what other people are doing with their Plugs. I have three Dockstars, filling various niches around my home. I won't claim the "biggest dork" award quite yet, but I wanted to share my setup.

I set up a FreePBX/Asterisk voip server on Lenny. It can also be done using Squeeze but seems Lenny uses less RAM. It works very well and stable as a GV-Sipgate PBX for dial out. It can be used for other voip services as well but I don't use it right now.

I am also using another Dockstar as my (simple) home web server and it works fine.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('aerotoad', '
')...............
3) Dockstar running Debian Lenny as a lightweight terminal. Hooked up a iMo USB display (ulfdb drivers work like a charm), along with wireless mouse and keyboard. I can run lightweight apps like conky, adesklets, openbox, and xterm, but Firefox is understandably slow. However, as a rdesktop or VNC client, it's perfect. Enterprising individual could use USB over IP to setup a remote docking station to another machine (http://www.virtualinsanity.com/index.php/2008/11/20/a-slick-usb-over-ip-solution-that-i-use-every-day/).

I would like set up something similar. Mainly not for connect to a monitor but for remote login using VNC. Can you outline what are needed and how to install or pointing me to some reading? Where I can find Firefox for it and if Chrome is available as well? Thanks in advance for your help.
dockstarfan

Postby JusRelax » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:23 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '
')
I set up a FreePBX/Asterisk voip server on Lenny. It can also be done using Squeeze but seems Lenny uses less RAM. It works very well and stable as a GV-Sipgate PBX for dial out. It can be used for other voip services as well but I don't use it right now.

Were there any specific tutorials that you were using? I'd like to try to setup one of my dockstars as a FreePBX/Asterisk voip server as well. I might try using FreeSwitch instead if I can find a good tutorial for it.
JusRelax

Postby dockstarfan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:34 pm

I mainly got references from these two places:
http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/ and http://forums.plugpbx.org/index.php?board=10.0. However, some of these are outdated and need some modifications. They will work but you might need to make some changes. I am thinking to put together a more up to date how to based on the information given there following my own installation to make sure it will work if there's interest.
dockstarfan

Postby ndrake » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:53 pm

I'm using one as a Squeezebox server and the other doesn't have a purpose yet.
ndrake

Postby dockstarfan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:05 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('aerotoad', '
')........................
2) Dockstar running Debian Lenny as a wireless motion/webcam sensor. Here, the Dockstar joins my wireless network, and outputs images and movies of my parking spot onto another machines harddrive (via Samba). It's been up for over a week with no problems. I have a crummy 640x480 webcam that uvcvideo likes.

Can you let me know how to set up the webcam server or point me to some published results? Thanks.
dockstarfan

Postby aerotoad » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:54 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('dockstarfan', 'C')an you let me know how to set up the webcam server or point me to some published results? Thanks.

dockstarfan,

I'm using the motion package from Debian (apt-get install motion), and this crummy webcam (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25948). I used the Motion website for help in setting up motion (http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/ConfigFileOptions). This old post on Linux.com may be useful as well: http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/114118

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('dockstarfan', 'I') would like set up something similar. Mainly not for connect to a monitor but for remote login using VNC. Can you outline what are needed and how to install or pointing me to some reading? Where I can find Firefox for it and if Chrome is available as well? Thanks in advance for your help.

Chrome isn't compiled for ARM, but firefox is (under Debian Lenny). Do you want to use it as a remote (headless) VNC server? You could install a vncserver package (several of them out there, I'm using vnc4server), and could connect to it from a laptop or other machine on your network. I did the opposite--used the dockstar as a dumb terminal--a vncviewer or rdesktop interface for another machine on my network. Either VNC or X forwarding will let you run Firefox or Chrome remotely. Depending on your usb video card resolution and network speed, you can have a usable remote browser/desktop.

There are many references for VNC server setup. The simplest is to install a vncserver, start it (may need to provide a password), and you can view the interface remotely with a vncviewer at the dockstar's IP address and the vnc port, something like:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'vncviewer 192.168.1.15:5900')

From the dockstar, you can launch applications in that virtual desktop, with "DISPLAY=dockstar:1 xterm", where the display variable points to whatever the vncserver is using.

Hope that helps,
-aerotoad
aerotoad

PreviousNext

Return to Community