Archlinuxarm Wiki

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

Archlinuxarm Wiki

Postby troffmo5 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:51 am

What i appreciate of the arch linux is its wiki: it contains a lot of information and it is not only an how-to-do-THIS-particular-thing but it explains how the things works.
It would be VERY useful to have a wiki with the same spirit for the ALA Project. I know most of the things can be found on the Arch wiki, but it could be an integration for the board specific issues. For example the wiki could have pages for uboot, cross-compiling and specific pages for Pogoplug, Pandaboard, Raspberry PI.
I thing in this way, the precious information of the forum threads could be saved and easily found.
I would be happy to have the possibility of writing on it the stuff i learned from my Pandaboard experience.
troffmo5

Re: Archlinuxarm Wiki

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:35 pm

- Uboot is documented by Denx
- Our cross-compiler setup is documented
- All things necessary for building ARM specific are the publicly available sources at github
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby kmihelich » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:38 pm

We used to have a wiki but it quickly became incongruous, out of date, incomplete, and was a consistent target for spam. The things you mention have a place on the main site already, and the forum has a complete full text search that is very useful. Success stories and personal insight are also better placed here as accountability for that information is more easily tied to a specific person and isn't misconstrued as official and definitive guidelines on how to do something, which ultimately needs to either be corrected or removed by us when it becomes neglected or obsolete.

We're working on a new way to integrate more platform-specific guides into the main site, but there is no ETA on that.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby troffmo5 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:25 pm

It is a good news that you are working on new platform-specific guides :D
Sad that you wiki experience was not like the arch one. The search in the forum is a good feature but it is not like a guide or a FAQ.
troffmo5

Postby kmihelich » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:30 pm

Like Arch, we have plenty of people that want to put up information; unlike Arch, very few of those stick around to curate it. That's basically what it comes down to.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby troffmo5 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:59 pm

Understood ;)
The number of arm based system users is growing, and i think it will continue in the years to come (e.g. with Raspberry PI ). ALA will surely gain new (collaborative) users.
troffmo5

Return to Community