Where to start on GUI'ed mini webserver.

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

Where to start on GUI'ed mini webserver.

Postby Daemonarc » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:49 am

Hi Guys,

New (potential) user, glad to be here.

I'm basically just looking to create a LAMP server that allows me to log-on to it by remote and start up a graphical editor (like Kate) for editing PHP files and develop sites, but it's a bit hard to figure out exactly what I need for this regarding hardware specs. Don't want it to be too slow in operation, but don't want it to be too expensive in power either. Any pointers on what an ideal set-up might be for me? It doesn't have to run KDE or Gnome, but I do need a decent graphical editor for my PHP work.

Thx for reading.
Daemonarc

Re: Where to start on GUI'ed mini webserver.

Postby WarheadsSE » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:00 pm

You're much better off just using the file system by remote with something like sshfs.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Daemonarc » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:36 pm

Thx for the suggestion, but I need it to work, so that I can easily use anything from Windows, Linux, MAC and Linux LiveCD's to connect and get the job done. I need to get around depending on being able to install anything on a given PC to the widest possible extent.
Daemonarc

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Well, considering that Windows would require a VNC or X11 client (which is not standard) you're screwing the pooch there anyways. Consider using something like Cloud9ide (such as a local install of c9.io)
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby bodhi » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:21 pm

I don't know if it's good enough for graphical editing, but I have xrdp and xfce desktop running on the plugs so others can use Windows remote dekstop to connect to the plugs and do files management, USB safely eject, and shutdown,... (Windows PCs have built-in remote desktop).
bodhi

Postby Daemonarc » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:20 am

Cloud9 looks like an excellent option, will look more into that.

XFCE and XRDP on the Pogoplug also sounds nice, I just need to be able to run something like GEdit by remote and I'm fine.
Daemonarc

Postby sambul13 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:11 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('bodhi', 'I') have xrdp and xfce desktop running on the plugs so others can use Windows remote dekstop to connect to the plugs and do files management, USB safely eject, and shutdown.
Sounds interesting to try, I'm using PuTTY and Midnight Commander to visualize file management. Why you're using both packages, any advantages of each? Do they run as daemons? How much of Pogo memory and proc resources they use at idle and when working with? How do you connect from Windows?
sambul13

Postby bodhi » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:14 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('sambul13', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('bodhi', 'I') have xrdp and xfce desktop running on the plugs so others can use Windows remote dekstop to connect to the plugs and do files management, USB safely eject, and shutdown.
Sounds interesting to try, I'm using PuTTY and Midnight Commander to visualize file management. Why you're using both packages, any advantages of each? Do they run as daemons? How much of Pogo memory and proc resources they use at idle and when working with? How do you connect from Windows?

The performance on the plugs is very good. XFCE is lightweight (fluxbox is even more lightweight, but not as nice). As long as you don't try to stream videos from the web ;-) with it, it's great. Casual web surfer is OK (e.g. Google search).

Xrdp is the daemon that handles the rdp protocol. XFCE is the desktop (i.e. GUI) like other desktops such as fluxbox, Gnome,...for users who are more comfortable using GUI than command line. There are several XFCE daemons running, each doing different things. If you have used Ubuntu before, most likely you've used Gnome. All Windows versions has built-in remote desktop client (no need to install anything else), just bring it up and connect.
bodhi

Postby sambul13 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:35 pm

Thanks. There seems to be no xrdp package in ARM repos, and a variety of related to xfce packages. Which one of these to install, and where to get xrdp from (without compiling it for Archlinux ARM 3.5.2)?
sambul13

Postby bodhi » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:13 am

Don't know the answer :-) I'd suggest you look in Arch Linux ARM wiki.
bodhi

Next

Return to Community