Hello! New here. Looking to contribute TI Davinci support

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

Hello! New here. Looking to contribute TI Davinci support

Postby mattyclarkson » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:52 am

Hello, everybody!

I'm a 27 year old senior software engineer working in the London office of UDP Technology which is backed by a large engineering force in Seoul, South Korea. I am currently revamping the company's development environment (a complete overhaul) . We build IP security cameras generally based on Texas Instruments Davinci set of DSP/ARM SoCs but looking to be platform agnostic through the new development processes I am introducing

We would really like to use Arch Linux on the devices moving forward. The TI devices generally have ARMv5, ARMv7 in them that is coupled with TI DSP and/or slave ARM devices. They usually talk to each other using a TI developed syslink API. TI provide patches to the kernel that are generally pushed back into the kernel mainline that provide a working kernel for their devices.

I would really like to get a kernel built for these devices via PKGBUILD so that we can use pacman to handle the installation of software on the devices. Obviously I would contribute anything that I find so that anybody else can get Arch running on their TI chips. We would be committed to supporting and maintaining anything that we contribute for the foreseeable future. I have experience with a lot of development environments, package managers and Linux but this is my first step at creating a brand new booting environment for a chip with Linux.

I'm just trying to introduce the idea, and myself, towards of supporting Arch Linux on TI devices and would appreciate any comments about this, even if they are negative, and will perfectly understand if this doesn't resonate with the ideals of the project.

I hope to be part of the Arch Linux ARM community, in work and out of work. My Raspberry PI's run Arch Linux and two of my PCs run Arch x86_64.

Matt Clarkson
mattyclarkson

Re: Hello! New here. Looking to contribute TI Davinci suppo

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:39 am

Welcome,

The primary factor for you will be making PKGBUILDs for the kernels of these devices, if not already supported by the omap or am33x lines. Once this is done, you can keep those PKGBUILDs, or fork our github PKGBUILDs and add it to core/linux-davinci for example.

Hope that helps,

WarheadsSE
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby mattyclarkson » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:44 am

OK thanks. I will look into the OMAP PKGBUILD.
mattyclarkson

Postby mattyclarkson » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:39 pm

It looks like the linux-davinci kernel is developed here:

http://gitorious.org/linux-davinci

So will look into getting U-Boot and the Kernel built for the Davinci devices and then go from there. The OMAP PKGBUILD are good reading. Thanks.
mattyclarkson

Postby dD23Box » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:32 am

Funny, this was on my short list as well, for ARMv5te units such as OMAP-L138 / AM1808. Are you looking at adding in SysLink-related items as well, or merely focusing on the ARM side?

ARMv5te support has been slipping on the TI front, and my experiences with OpenEmbedded have been a bit, err, time consuming.

I run ALARM on two PogoPlug v2 units for [Canadian-|cross-]compilation purposes, Bone and a RPi as yourself, and am quite pleased with ALARM for embedded. Someone is definitely missing a trick here!
dD23Box

Return to Community