Wacky idea

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

Wacky idea

Postby Socaltom » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:36 pm

Maybe I've been playing with the Pogoplugs too long, but I have this idea, not sure it if makes sense or is workable, but here it is.
Arm computers are cool, but the headless ones that I've played with aren't able to do much beyond serve files and videos. To see the files and videos I need to have a more powerful computer running. Which means that, my wife and my kid and I all have computer on top of the Arm server(s) I have running.
What if this scenario were reversed? What if ... I had a dual or quad core server running, and we all had arm powered tablets r laptops that took advantadge of the processing power in the server for heavier tasks? 80% of the time we use our computers ( or Ipads) for email and web surfing. The other 20% requires some processing power ( ripping DVDs or CDs) etc.

Its like the oldschool days of mainframes and dumb terminals, but you could make the terminal a bit smarter with an arm processor, but still hand off the hard work to the "main frame". So is this a dumb idea?
Tom
Owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Socaltom
 
Posts: 567
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:21 pm
Location: The left side

Re: Wacky idea

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:40 pm

Tablets & Streaming appropriately encoded videos, all is well, really.

Have a look at Plex?
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer
 
Posts: 6730
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: Wacky idea

Postby Socaltom » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:47 pm

yes,
I'm running plex. MP4 stream without problems to the Roku and the Ipads. With the "web optimized" format in handbrake I can even stream to the WAN without lagging.
I'm also running motion to monitor IP cams. It does fine with 2 cameras, 3 has the CPU utilization around 0.9, so I don't think it can take much more.
Tom
Owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Socaltom
 
Posts: 567
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:21 pm
Location: The left side


Return to Community

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest