Newbie, soon to be looking for remedial-level assistance...

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

Newbie, soon to be looking for remedial-level assistance...

Postby AndrewLH » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:19 pm

Hello all,

My name's Andrew, I'm a "professional" writer (fiction, not code). I recently purchased an ASUS Chromebook Flip to be my mobile typewriter, and at the last minute decided to give Linux a try for the first time too. Turns out to be less easy on this machine than any other (well, not much like the online guides for magically installing Ubuntu in 20 seconds, anyway).

I've followed the basic installation, but the last time I tried to write code Linux didn't even exist, so I'm a bit out of my depth (I was probably using a green-screen Amstrad, if you're old enough for that to ring any bells). Anyway, I'm going to go dig around here looking for a way to install a desktop, and if you want to offer me help feel free to talk to me like I'm a toddler taking my very first steps!

AndrewLH
AndrewLH

Re: Newbie, soon to be looking for remedial-level assistance

Postby moonman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:38 pm

Welcome to the forums Andrew,

A great source of info is ArchWiki. 99% of all you will want to ask is there described in great detail.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Re: Newbie, soon to be looking for remedial-level assistance

Postby AndrewLH » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:42 pm

Thanks, moonman - I'm reading through it now. I guess I should say, I very much like the DIY philosophy at hand. Now if I can just figure out which part of this virtual hammer to hold, I can start hitting my Asus with the other end.
AndrewLH

Return to Community