Updating custom kernel

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Updating custom kernel

Postby Mandarine » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:22 am

Hello all,

I am in the process of creating my own router based on a Banana Pi R64 with archlinux ARM operating system.
Since I did not find an official kernel on the archlinux ARM site, I used the script and source files provided by ericwoud and frank-w to build my own kernel based on the generic archlinux ARM x64 kernel (https://github.com/ericwoud/buildR64ubuntu).
Thanks to them, that has also worked out well in the meantime. After setting up the system, I updated everything, including the kernel, with pacman -Syu. However, the kernel update does not seem to have worked. Although the newer kernel version (5.18.1-1) is displayed with pacman -Qi linux, uname -r still shows the old kernel version (5.16.0). I assume this is because the custom kernel cannot simply be updated by pacman, but must be rebuilt each time? Do you know any way to keep the kernel up to date with as little effort as possible? Or how do you do it with boards with the generic archlinux ARM kernel that are not officially supported?
Thank you very much for your ideas and feedback.
Mandarine

Return to User Questions