From Windows to Arch / Archlinux Privacy?

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

From Windows to Arch / Archlinux Privacy?

Postby DragonFly » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:51 am

First, i am a windows users and want to change that for obvious reasons. Spoiler, microsoft sucks.
I'm now looking for the right linux distro for me, my linux-skills are VERY basic.
Windows users get used to GUIs.. mangaging everything via terminal will be an adventure.

As the title suggests i want to ask about the privacy on arch systems, is there telemetry or tracking of any kind, if so what exactly? I absolutely hate the privacy-breach bigtech has done in recent years, and still does.
When i klick the shield icon in my browsers searchbar, it shows that this forum (archlinuxarm.org) uses googleanalytics...
If you do not recommend arch for privacy, which other distro should i try?
Do you recommend trying only main distros, arch, debian, fedora, or are forks legitimate?
Linuxmint appears to be popular, how do you feel about the ubuntu fork?
Ubuntu seems a really bad choice since they now use the same privacy invasive measures as microsoft.
Linuxmint is sponsored by many, one of them yahoo which is owned by bing/microsoft, what do you say to this?

My pc useage is pretty normie, browsing the web (librewolf), gaming (steam), what's important for me is as nr1 priority the os i use should be private (don't laugh because i'm on windows i'm here to switch) and the os should be stable while being capable of browsing the internet and playing videogames.

I would be using qubesos but i'm almost certain this privacy-focused os isn't made for gaming at all, so i'll have to find an alternative. The Witcher 3 or Soma where great, don't want to miss out such amazing projects.
What are your toughts on qubesos?

Do you recommend encrypting the systemdrive? If not, what should be encrypted?
What about government backdoors such as the intel management engine (IME) or amtvpro for amd cpu's?
Can anyone comment on coreboot / libreboot?

I am aware of the fact that being a ghost on the world wide web is impossible, there is no such thing as complete anonimity, you always leave a trace. That's not what i'm asking for should anyone have the impression, all i want is a private computer with a minimal digital footprint and without any stupid tech conglomerates harvesting my data.
DragonFly

Re: From Windows to Arch / Archlinux Privacy?

Postby solskogen » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:53 am

Arch Linux ARM (which this forum is for) is for ARM based systems. My guess is that you're looking for x86. You want to take a look at http://archlinux.org
solskogen

Postby DragonFly » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:54 pm

Oh, my bad. Shouldn't i be looking for x64 over x86(32) ?
Don't even know if my system is compatible with armx64 architecture.
Edit: I see amd64 what should be compatible.

Either way i'm to stupid for the registration on the archforum.
They have a mandatory security question that i don't understand.
What is the output of "date -u +%V$(uname)|sha1sum|sed 's/\W//g'"?
DragonFly

Postby h4o » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:54 pm

date -u +%V$(uname)|sha1sum|sed 's/\W//g'

Just type it into a shell.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'date -u +%V ') gives you the current week number (in this case 23)
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '$(uname)') just returns Linux
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '|sha1sum') pipes your "23Linux" to sha1sum which then calculates a sha1 sum of the string "23Linux" which returns 70a16186195ccaf3331c7e77c58ea123bd7984e5 -
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '|sed 's/\W//g'') gets rid of the " - " from the previous command, thus giving you $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '70a16186195ccaf3331c7e77c58ea123bd7984e5')

Funny way to scare newbies away...
As solskogen said before: this is Archlinux for ARM which is probably not what you're looking for. https://archlinux.org/ is Archlinux for x86-64.
Still, since you claim to have very basic skills I'd suggest to start with something simpler than Archlinux. Linux Mint should be a good starting point. You will inevitably gain exprience and come back to Archlinux when you are more comfortable using a GNU/Linux system. QubesOS has a very unique approach and I'm sure getting games to run on it will be challenging at least.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'D')o you recommend trying only main distros, arch, debian, fedora, or are forks legitimate?

Forks are absolutely legitimate. Just don't settle on distros with few users and few developers, they may or may not disappear at some point.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'L')inuxmint appears to be popular, how do you feel about the ubuntu fork?

Very beginner-friendly, said to be great for people migrating from Windows.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'U')buntu seems a really bad choice since they now use the same privacy invasive measures as microsoft.

Well not as invasive as Microsoft is plus afaik you can at least opt out. Not a bad place to start as a lot of people use it and it will be easier to troubleshoot if you run into any problems.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'L')inuxmint is sponsored by many, one of them yahoo which is owned by bing/microsoft, what do you say to this?

Actually don't know much about that but being sponsored by big corps does not automatically mean that these distros disregard the privacy rights of their users.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'D')o you recommend encrypting the systemdrive? If not, what should be encrypted?

I believe most distros offer the option to encrypt your /home which contains your user data. Depending on your use-case however. Most also got the option to encrypt the entire system and unlock at boot.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'W')hat about government backdoors such as the intel management engine (IME) or amtvpro for amd cpu's?

That's a whole other discussion. Not a friend of these things either but have fun finding modern hardware without such stuff...
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'C')an anyone comment on coreboot / libreboot?
I don't think a lot of hardware is supported. Also since you have very basic linux skills, this is definetely not something you should try yet.

Since you mentioned gaming you might wanna check out Garuda Linux. I have not used it myself but it is based on Archlinux and they offer a "gaming edition". I suppose it already contains the necessary software to game on linux. Don't know about their user base or the state of the distribution.
Manjaro may also be an option.
h4o

Postby DragonFly » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:39 am

Thanks for the reply, yeah i should really check another linux distro before trying arch.
I wonder why manjaros official site uses twitter trackers.make_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_FULL, '
', 'https://pagexray.fouanalytics.com/q/manjaro.org?f=', '', ' class="postlink"')
Same with garuda, just in that case it's google. (but not necessarily trackers)make_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_FULL, '
', 'https://pagexray.fouanalytics.com/q/garudalinux.org?f=', '', ' class="postlink"')

Most important is privacy, gaming comes after, so if the above os'es aren't perfect on privacy i won't use them, i dislike any and all profiling / tracking / telemetry, no exceptions.
Speaking about that, this site (archlinux forum) even uses google analytics, the worst of all evils.make_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_FULL, '
', 'https://pagexray.fouanalytics.com/q/archlinuxarm.org?f=', '', ' class="postlink"')

Could you elaborate how exactly does qubesos have a unique approach?
DragonFly

Return to User Questions