Need info: NOOBS vs Recommended install

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Need info: NOOBS vs Recommended install

Postby Guardian00 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:03 am

Hi, I want to try a Pi and want to do it with Arch. Raspberry recommends NOOBS and format the SD with SD Card Formatter from sdcard.org

sdcard.org say "Using generic formatting utilities may result in less than optimal performance..." Could I have better performance using SD Card Formatter's FAT32?

I already using Arch in my headless box (and thinking to replace it with a Pi 3), so the recommended/no-NOOBS installation is not a problem.

FAT32 vs EXT4?

fdisk vs SD Card Formatter?

NOOBS vs typing?

Thanks ;)
Guardian00

Re: Need info: NOOBS vs Recommended install

Postby moonman » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:48 am

The only fat32 partition is boot partition which contains the bits of the system to boot up the rpi . it is not used when the system is running so SD format tool is not going to have any effect, really. Ext2/3/4 (or any other linux filesystem be it f2fs or btrfs) is required to run everything else.

Now AFAIK, NOOBS partitions SD card multiple ways so you can multiboot. It really doesn't matter in terms of usuabilty if you do it the noobs way or our official way. To be honest I don't even know if noobs still works for archlinux arm.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Re: Need info: NOOBS vs Recommended install

Postby Guardian00 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:05 am

SOLVED!

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('moonman', '&')quot;Now AFAIK, NOOBS partitions SD card multiple ways so you can multiboot."

After read your answer I can find https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/wi ... -explained

NOOBS make a tiny fat32 part for boot and the rest in ext4 for root.

Thanks.
Guardian00

Return to User Questions