Installing ARM Arch on Tablet

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Installing ARM Arch on Tablet

Postby wulfspider » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:22 pm

Hey guys,

I'm a student and I'm looking for a solution to take notes in my courses, which is also compatible to the documents and software on my PC. The price / perfomance ratio for the current notebooks is bad, so I wondered whether I get running Arch with Gnome shell natively on my tablet without chroot. It's a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition).

I think it's a nice project and I have some time until the next semester starts. It would be very cool if you help and support me here in this thread! :) I will upload all my work to Github (if I get something useful).

So, what do I need? I think the main problem is to get a working kernel and the drivers. Is it possible to use them from this project [1] ? Links to Github are at the bottom of the first post.
Is there a better alternative to get a working kernel? Version 4.x (was it 4.6?) of the official Linux Kernel should have a better ARM support, but I think there are missing some drivers though.

Setting up the ARM Arch Linux system shouldn't be the problem. I haven't done anything with this distribution yet, but I hope it is a simple pacstrap command. My plan is to install the ARM Arch Linux into a raw image which I can flash to my device later. For testing I'm should be able to boot from it with some Qemu magic I think.

Which possibilities for flashing do I have? The only solution I know would be over TWRP / adb.

Thanks in advance for your replies :)

[1] http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-10-2014/orig-development/lt03wifi-cm13-0-unofficial-builds-t3332894
wulfspider

Re: Installing ARM Arch on Tablet

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:22 am

Arch Linux ARM*

You'll need to get drivers confirmed, and possible a serial console. Remember that we don't ship a framebuffer out of the box, and a large number of the touch interface drivers are not fully open.

It isn't impossible, but it is on you for those.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby wulfspider » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:33 am

I have tried some of my own kernel builds but I only get the Samsung logo and then it does nothing. Is there a way to enable kernel messages on booting so that I can see whats going on?

I'm using the official stable kernel source 4.7.3.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
export ARCH=arm
export CROSS_COMPILE=/home/wulf/userfiles/bin/android-ndk-r12b/toolchains/arm-linux-androideabi-4.9/prebuilt/linux-x86_64/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-

make exynos_defconfig
make -j6
')
Finally I flash the zImage (which is located under arch/arm/boot) to my boot partition of my device.

No, the device is not broken. I can boot into TWRP and I also can flash a new Android ROM over TWRP. After that all is working fine.
wulfspider

Postby moonman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:31 pm

Your own kernel? So you know for sure your device is supported in mainline kernel? I may be wrong, but somehow I doubt that.
Stick to your device's specific kernel if you not sure, if the official kernel is too old (< 3.7 ) you are SOL
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby wulfspider » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:02 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'Y')our own kernel? So you know for sure your device is supported in mainline kernel?

Yes, I know. With "my own kernel" I mean the mainline kernel, which I configured myself. Sorry for this bad description.
wulfspider

Return to User Questions