RPi3 - AARCH64 - no wlan0 and libnl package missing?

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

RPi3 - AARCH64 - no wlan0 and libnl package missing?

Postby mabman » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:49 pm

This is my first foray into Arch Linux, so my apologies if this is a dumb question. I couldn't find anything similar using search.

I installed ALARM AARCH64 on my Raspberry Pi 3 this past week from the default install instructions (https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv ... berry-pi-3).

It works, however, it looks like the wifi adapter isn't showing up at all - "ip list" only shows eth0 and lo interfaces, nothing about wlan0 at all.

I also found a guide at: http://nalle.no/node/9 , which said I also need the wpa_supplicant and wireless_tools packages (I'm not running a GUI so I won't be using networkmanager, unless that is the missing piece here). The wireless_tools package installed OK, but I am unable to install the wpa_supplicant package. pacman says it is dependent on libnl-3.2.28-1, but when it tries to install that package, I get:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', ':: Retrieving packages...
error: failed retrieving file 'libnl-3.2.28-1-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
warning: failed to retrieve some files
')

I also tried to install the "iw" package as some documents reference that as well for querying/testing purposes, but apparently it also has a dependency on libnl, and installation of that also fails with the above error.

Thanks for all suggestions.

(I should add - I previously had Raspbian installed, and the wifi worked just fine, so the hardware itself seems to be OK.)
mabman

Re: RPi3 - AARCH64 - no wlan0 and libnl package missing?

Postby moonman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:31 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'T')his provides an installation using the mainline kernel and U-Boot. There is no support for the vendor-provided libraries, extensions, or related software. Some of the hardware on the board may not work, or it may perform poorly.

Pretty clearly stated in the official guide, and , if I am not mistaken, wifi is one if them.

Now, for the missing package: did you do "pacman -Sy" to sync the package database?
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby mabman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:36 am

OK, thanks - I couldn't find a direct mention of wifi specifically not working, so that clarifies things for me.

As for the missing package - you were right, I needed to run a pacman -Sy first. Thanks again.
mabman

Postby thybak » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:46 pm

Hi,

Do you have any idea about when this problem could be solved? Are they working to improve the compatibility with the hardware of the RPI3?

This build (AArch64) is helping me to test my diploma project at the uni because I can run an updated MongoDB version on it. Meanwhile, I'll be using ethernet, but It could be better with the WiFi interface working.

Thanks for your work and, in advance, for your attention.

Thybak.
thybak

Return to User Questions