[Installing ArchLinux] on BBB via mini USB from PC

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

[Installing ArchLinux] on BBB via mini USB from PC

Postby ComputerMail » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:41 pm

Hi,

i am looking for a method to install ArchLinux on my BBB via mini USB port, because i do not have any micro SD card or any USB key, i would like to install it using mini USB port connected to my computer, is it possible ?
ComputerMail

Re: [Installing ArchLinux] on BBB via mini USB from PC

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:06 pm

The Mini USB port is used as an OTG. This cannot be used for a boot medium. You can not flash to the eMMC safely without booting to some other media first.

It might technically be possible to get the BBB to boot from a USB memory stick, but I can't say that for a fact. You would need at least a TTL UART cable to interrupt and interact with the bootloader.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby ComputerMail » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:36 pm

Thank you for answer, i find SD card but i still have some issues, i followed this tutorial https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv ... bone-black and had issues, then this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XJ1RZ-R3xo and again issues, both under Ubuntu. Is it possible to create this Sd card under Windows 7 ? How to do it ?
ComputerMail

Postby ComputerMail » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:53 pm

Please, an answer
ComputerMail

Postby moonman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:19 am

You are not telling us much. What kind of issues? It does not boot? If it doesn't boot, likely you are doing something wrong.

If you are new to linux, I can see these things going wrong:

1. You are not replacing 'X' in 'sdX' with the right letter or at all
2. You are not using the right mkfs.ext4 command (there are 2 presented in our official guide, depending on what you have on your system)
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby ComputerMail » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:41 am

Thank you for answer, i just success installing, the problem was file downloading because bad network.
ComputerMail

Return to User Questions