cross compilation question

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

cross compilation question

Postby juego » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:22 pm

I'm trying to set up a cross compilation environment for my raspberry pis.
I've been using ArchLinux for quite a while and have many RPI 1,2 and 3 running the excellent builds you are distributing. I also have abilities in compilation. Now, I never did cross compilation. My problem is I'd like to accelerate my development time. I develop using openFrameworks. But compilation takes way too long when doing it on the Raspberry Pi.

I was hoping to go for the easier QEMU chroot approach. But the wiki page says running Make does not work anymore in QEMU. Is that still true?

Second, the wiki page points to the Distcc cross-compilation guide you have here, but I'm struggling to get things running. I know it's intentional, but could someone maybe point me to a more detailed description or explanation of how I could set it up. I have installed WarheadsSE's distccd-alarm, but I'm lost on how to compile openframeworks or any PKGBUILD from there.

Thanks for your help.
juego

Re: cross compilation question

Postby WarheadsSE » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:13 pm

You configure your Pi's to distribute the load cc out to the distcc on your x86_64 hardware, via options in makepkg.conf.

You can't cross-build a PKGBUILD for ARM from x86_64, as Pacman just doesn't understand it, and wasn't designed to.

You can build, but not package, exclusively on the x86_64 by exposing the appropriate variables to point to the toolchains that are included as part of that package, such as CC="path/to/x-tools/gcc"
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby graysky » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:23 pm

graysky
Developer

Postby juego » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:01 am

@WarheadsSE Ho thanks, that's super useful information... I understand better now.

@Graysky: Thx for the link. I had browsed that page already. I guess I need to someone to walk me through a proper set up once to understand fully how this all works.
juego

Return to User Questions