Any reasons for not distributing gcc-ada?

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Any reasons for not distributing gcc-ada?

Postby Henning » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:36 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to build mingw-w64-gcc for armv7h and I was surprised to find that the make dependency gcc-ada is apparently not in the repository. Also, in the archlinuxarm PKGBUILDs from github I found the following comments in the gcc PKGBUILD:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '# - removed ada packages
# - removed gnat (ada stuff) from gcc packaging')

Is there any specific reason for not distributing a build of gcc-ada? I can't even build it myself (e.g. by picking the relevant packaging function from earlier revisions) since gcc-ada is itself a make-dependency of gcc-ada, which would mean I would have to bootstrap gcc-ada using a build from a foreign distribution. Usually all distributions I have used ship a prebuild gcc-ada package for this reason. Since gcc-ada is also required to build any gcc, does this mean it is generally discouraged to build your own gcc on archlinuxarm?

Somebody has to have gcc-ada installed in order to build new gcc versions, right?

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before, or if I have missed anything obvious. I've tried searching this forum for "gcc-ada" and "build gcc" but didn't find anything. My web searches for this problem all refrain to "you have to bootstrap it yourself" and suggest using packages from a foreign distribution, but so far I haven't found any armv7h packages for gcc-ada 6.3.1 anywhere yet.

But other than this issue, I'm very pleased with this distribution so far :)

Henning
Henning

Re: Any reasons for not distributing gcc-ada?

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:01 pm

You'd need to bootstrap it, yes. We chose not to do so at the time, and you're the first I can recall to come asking.

You'd do this by installing a foreign static version, building the package, installing it, and then rebuilding on that.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to User Questions