Any way to prevent ALARM from sleeping?

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Any way to prevent ALARM from sleeping?

Postby Melab » Sun May 14, 2017 2:31 am

I am running Arch Linux ARM on a Samsung XE303C12 without a GUI. I am attempting to compile a kernel on it and it is taking a while. Every once in a while, the screen witll shut off and (I'm assuming) the computer will pause/sleep, halting the compilation as well, thereby requiring I pay attention to the screen to wake the laptop. How can I prevent this?
Melab

Re: Any way to prevent ALARM from sleeping?

Postby Kabbone » Sun May 14, 2017 8:51 am

shutting off the screen is not an indication of suspend/hibernate. Why do you assume it pauses? Don't you see the compilation output?
If you don't have configured tlp, laptop mode tools or such things it probably don't shut off by itself, it's just the screen
Kabbone

Postby Socaltom » Sun May 14, 2017 5:47 pm

The easiest way to make sure it doesn't halt, is to install "screen", open it when you ssh in and then start your compile in that window. Then you can detach and you don't have to worry about the compile shutting down. Most likely your PC is closing the connection because it goes to sleep or doesn't sense it doing anything, then when the connection closes everything stops.
Running it in screen should prevent that and allow you to "detach" the session and it will continue to work.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby demomanstev33 » Mon May 22, 2017 5:32 pm

You should probably also check your power options to see if it's actually sleeping or the monitor is just shutting off to conserve power.
demomanstev33

Return to User Questions