modprobe tun, OXNAS and kernel version

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

modprobe tun, OXNAS and kernel version

Postby hero911 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:17 am

Hello everyone,

Thanks again for everyone's support and continuing hacking/development of the plug servers. Here comes another n00b question.

My first question is regarding not being able to load the tun module:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[root@alarm /]# modprobe tun
FATAL: Module tun not found.')

I see tun.ko.gz in /lib/modules/2.6.38/kernel/drivers/net/ but I'm not running 2.6.38... I'm running 2.6.31 which came with (not sure if that makes sense) with the oxnas-install.sh script.

I'm assuming that 2.6.38 was updated with a pacman update but I'm still running 2.6.31:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[root@alarm /]# uname -a
Linux alarm 2.6.31.6_SMP_820 #99 SMP Sun May 29 03:04:43 EDT 2011 armv6l ARMv6-compatible processor rev 5 (v6l) Oxsemi NAS GNU/Linux
')

Is there a way for me to update the running kernel to 2.6.38... If so, I should be able to load the tun module then.

I looked around the Arch Linux ARM.com and Arch forums/wikis on booting latest kernels but there's something I'm missing.

Thanks again,
Hero911
hero911

Re: modprobe tun, OXNAS and kernel version

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:46 pm

The module just wasn't compiled.

As for updating to 2.6.38+, not so much. Please wait.

If you can point to the specific module you want that is not there, let me know.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby hero911 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:45 am

Thanks for the offer.

I really need the tun module so I can get OpenVPN running.

I'll keep looking for tutorials and posts (I'm new to Arch) but how would I update the kernel?

Thanks!
hero911

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:33 pm

Truthfully, I'd rather put a very well documented method up, and provide a script to do it for you. You do *not* want to screw flashing the NAND up. I am in the mean time looking into better options.

As for compiling your own, I need to put this into documentation somewhere. It's not that complicated other than a specific file needs altered prior to compilation.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Medved » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:15 pm

After udevd literally "spamming" syslog-ng with messages like:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Jun 12 20:11:25 rozetka udevd[364]: unable to receive ctrl connection: Function not implemented')
and using wildly the CPU, I was at the point to flash my 1 day oxnas pogoplug with the 2.6.38 /boot/uImage that comes from repository package, but I changed my mind as I don't have the geeky serial cable and the time in case something blows-up. As I understand from the lack of info, either that wasn't yet done on any Oxnas-based plug, or it was done, but screwed the device.
I'll better wait with for an update :-D
For now, I just kill all the udevd after startup as a workarround to overcome the syslog spamming. Anyway it does nothing as long as I don't plug something.
Medved

Postby hero911 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:03 pm

WarheadsSE,

Any updates on the tun module? I've updated oxnas to the most recent version but still no go on the module.

Thanks!
hero911

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:18 am

I've been SUPER busy.

I'm trying to get kexec sorted. If I can find out why it never actually boots after loading the kernel, we're golden. Til then, reflashing the kernel all the time is going to wax devices.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby hero911 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:40 am

I know myself well enough that "figure out" means that it's an unknown problem and therefore no estimates on finding a solution... eh?

Good luck. Wish I could help... and thanks for your efforts.
hero911

Return to User Questions