RAID1 with FAT32 on Arch Linux ARM

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

RAID1 with FAT32 on Arch Linux ARM

Postby Aarshad » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:45 am

I recently managed to install the Arch Linux ARM on my Pink Pogo....I am mainly using it with my PS3 and Samsung TV (minidlna deamon).

I wanted to have a RAID1 configuration, but dont know and cant find how to do this for a FAT32 extension, as my PS3 only supports this format. Any ideas ?
Aarshad

Re: RAID1 with FAT32 on Arch Linux ARM

Postby kmihelich » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:48 am

Linux RAID operates outside the scope of what filesystem you use. If you're pulling the fat32 drive to plug into the PS3, there are likely other issues to consider for when it gets plugged back in as part of the RAID. Basically though, software RAID is pretty simple once you understand the concepts. The main wiki page should help, along with innumerable resources available using your good friend Google.

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Linux_Raid
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby Aarshad » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:12 am

Thanx I think I will read into the material before comming with more detailed questions, if I have any.

just for clarification:
What I want basically, is to make a RAID-1 backup for my HDD which I use with my PS3 over minidlna !
So basically I've now one 2TB HD with FAT32 which I use with my PS3, I dont actually plug it in to the PS3, just leave it on the PlugApp Pogoplug. Now I am going to try making it some kind of RAID-1 config, where this HDD is backed up as well
Aarshad

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:07 pm

This is one of those times rsync comes to mind.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby kmihelich » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:18 pm

The PS3, or any other device, doesn't care, and never even sees what filesystem type is on the other side of a network service. If it only supports FAT32 that means when directly connected, not on the other side of DLNA.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Return to User Questions