CUPS/Samba error

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

CUPS/Samba error

Postby dekortage » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:05 pm

I'm very new to Arch Linux ARM and not an expert at Linux, unfortunately. And I did search the forum before posting. But here's my dilemma.

I've got a Dockstar succesfully running Arch Linux ARM. I have an HP Deskjet F4240 plugged into it. After some wrestling, I managed to get CUPS to recognize it and add it as a printer; CUPS can succesfully print a test page to it.

(Aside: by "wrestling," I mean that CUPS initially wouldn't recognize the printer at all, so I had to blacklist usblp and reboot. Then CUPS saw it. Then I had to install hplip to get the drivers, which should've been obvious. Duh.)

Then I installed Samba and I think I've got the proper configuration to have the printer shared. Anyway, my home computer is a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.5, and using the "Advanced" printer config, I set up a new Windows printer pointed to the Dockstar. Upon printing, the Mac spooler gets to about 30%-40% before cancelling out with the error "NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED". I can't figure out how to fix this.

It is almost certainly something stupid on my part -- an overlooked configuration variable, or a misunderstanding of mine in how to use Samba and/or CUPS. But I'd appreciate any advice. Let me know if you would like more information. Thanks.
dekortage

Re: CUPS/Samba error

Postby dekortage » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:48 pm

Alright. I started all over on this, reinstalling Arch Linux ARM from scratch and following the CUPS installation instructions here: http://archlinuxarm.org/support/guides/applications/cups-apple-airprint

I may have found a couple of minor errors in the instructions (see http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1300) and I'm getting further than before, but it's still not working.

My Mac sees the printer on the network. However, when I try to print to it, I encounter an error:

- If I've added the printer via Bonjour, then the Mac's print queue says the printer is offline.
- If I've added the printer via IPP, then the Mac's print queue apparently starts trying to print, but after a few seconds it stops trying and gives a "Printer is paused" error message.

Any Mac users out there able to assist with this?
dekortage

Return to User Questions