Custom rootfs – Is there a possibility?

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Custom rootfs – Is there a possibility?

Postby tomi » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:10 pm

Hello everyone!
This question bothers me for a week now, but I didn’t find any answers yet. (Maybe I’m bad at searching..)
Anyway, I’m currently trying to create a buildroot linux image for my nanopi-neo (yes, I know that this board isn’t supported officially by ArchLinuxARM, but I cross-compiled the linux kernel and u-boot by myself), because of the „lightness” of the system. I can decide what really should the system include and what not, but that’s the problem. Currently, cause of my „try every option” habit, the system boots without a tty; systemd when shutting down kills the journald service.. tl;dt It’s just broken. That’s why I would love to work with ArchLinuxARM.

To my question, is there a possibility to customize and (maybe) self build the rootfs of ArchLinux ARM, to include or exclude some features and packages?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Tomi.
tomi

Re: Custom rootfs – Is there a possibility?

Postby Socaltom » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:35 pm

Arch comes pretty stripped down as it is. You can certainly add things through pacman, but there isn't much you could remove and still get the required functionality, but its possible through pacman.
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby tomi » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:33 pm

Probably it’s stripped down, but still the complete rootfs archive is a bit cluttered. I’m familiar with the way Arch Linux is installed on my desktop, using pacatrap and choosing only those packages I really need.

I’m asking, not because I “hate” the current release packages (they are great, as always), but only to have the knowledge to create a rootfs package that suits my “special” needs and to satisfy my curiosity. ;)

Best regards,
Tomi
tomi

Postby Socaltom » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:45 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('tomi', 'P')robably it’s stripped down, but still the complete rootfs archive is a bit cluttered. I’m familiar with the way Arch Linux is installed on my desktop, using pacatrap and choosing only those packages I really need.

Best regards,
Tomi

I'm sure you could create your own rootfs. Its a bit different here. There is no pacstrap. You install a rootfs once you get the boot system installed. Its pretty easy to use pacman -R to remove packages you don't want.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman#Usage
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Return to User Questions