ArchLinux ARM and power blackout

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

ArchLinux ARM and power blackout

Postby matteoraggi » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:50 pm

I wanted to evaluate the usage of archlinux ARM on raspberry pi 3 and ODROID C2, but a friend told me that ArchlinuxARM has troubles to boot after power failure, and that raspbian is more stable about it, is that real? If yes are there some solutions or soma patches in plan about this "issue"?
matteoraggi

Re: ArchLinux ARM and power blackout

Postby summers » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:16 pm

Odd, I don't know about that. But can't see why arch would be worse than other operating systems.

To my mind, if you want a robust system to power failures, you need to design it that way. The kind of configuration you would be after is easier in arch, than in many OS.

So what I'd do:

1) Make root read only, so when you want *any* changes you need to remount RW. this would mean that you couldn't even change a password. Files that have to be writable, mount on a tmpfs.
2) user disk (e.g. /home) set it up as a separate partition, and format that with a file system that copes well with loss of power. Me, I'd go with btrfs, for its cow set up.

Doing this well would be quite some effort - but you should be able to end up with a system where you could pull the power, and only loose the little you had open when pulling power.

But I'd say, unless you have a reason, why would you go to this effort?
summers

Return to User Questions