Pi3 Not booting

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Pi3 Not booting

Postby RokenPrice » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:50 am

I tried at the RPi forums, and they suggested here. A search of the forums shows nothing, though maybe my search skills are not so good.

I recently bought two brand new Sandisk 32Gb SD Cards (since my last one died). I restored the (customised but working) Stretch image from a backup to one, and since my desktop and laptop are both Arch, decided to give ArchPi a go. I followed the installation instructions at https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/raspberry-pi, and a check of the filesystem shows everything is fine. The /boot partition has everything that should be there.

However, plug it in to the pi, and nada. It sits there doing nothing.

Now, I'm a long time user, on x86 computers, and it's usually required to set a boot flag, though I believe that's not necessary with the pi.

Nevertheless, I have no idea why it isn't working.

For info, the sdcard is in fine fettle (tested by restoring my backup image and trying it out), and the Pi is clearly working (it's sat there now working).

Is there a step missing from the wiki? Should the bootable flag be set? Is ArchPi a non-starter?

Help! Please

For info, the sdcard layout as reported by fdisk

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sdg1 2048 206847 204800 100M c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sdg2 206848 62333951 62127104 29.6G 83 Linux
')

EDIT: For info - it's a Pi 3B
RokenPrice

Re: Not booting

Postby RokenPrice » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:52 pm

This is fixed. Someone on the RPi forums got me in the right direction. So next question (MODS - feel free to move this part).

I have been using my Pi as a plex media server (and a couple of other bits that are not relevant).

As an Arch Linux user on my main desktop and laptop, for consistency, I tried ArchPi, which is working just fine now. Plex installed on the Arch sdcard, and it's working.

My question is, on the default Debian Raspbian install, it takes a few seconds before media gets going when accessed either using a local connection or via app.plex.tv. On the other hand, it is noticeably snappier when running from ArchPi (and it's still updating libraries).

So what is the Debian distro doing behind the scenes that Arch isn't?

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT recommending ArchPi to anyone that doesn't already know their way around Linux.
RokenPrice

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:07 am

When you set up the filesystem, did you use the pi2 or pi3 tarball?
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby RokenPrice » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:38 pm

I suspect I grabbed the wrong one. Started again from scratch (re-downloaded), and now it's working.
RokenPrice

Return to User Questions